Lay in the sofa

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is the phrase Lay in the sofa common in AE? I ask because I've never heard it used in BE, and I've been hearing it here recently. My fiancee often uses it (It amused me the first time I heard it, I imagined someone cutting a sofa open and getting inside), and yesterday someone asked me about one of their test questions, which began with 'I lay in the sofa'.

A Google (US) search found 4 results, whilst a Google (UK) search came up with nothing?

Any ideas?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a BE speaker, I'd have thought it was an errror. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard the expression. I've only heard on used that way.

:)

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sorry to dig this up again, but I'm currently teaching a group of local middle school teachers, and I asked them about this phrase.

They all said they were taught in university that Lay in the sofa is correct, if the sofa is a large one. :shock:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
shane said:
Sorry to dig this up again, but I'm currently teaching a group of local middle school teachers, and I asked them about this phrase.

They all said they were taught in university that Lay in the sofa is correct, if the sofa is a large one. :shock:

I have never heard that expression. It might be a regionalism, but I would not accept it as correct.

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
A pretty scary thought it is then, when you realise that millions of people up and down the country are being taught it as fact. :?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If enough say it, they may become right- an even scarier thought. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
shane said:
A pretty scary thought it is then, when you realise that millions of people up and down the country are being taught it as fact. :?

Some of the scariest language concepts I've heard have come from teachers. There was one on another forum who tried to tell us the following sentence was correct.

John flew to London next week.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
shane said:

Some of the scariest language concepts I've heard have come from teachers. There was one on another forum who tried to tell us the following sentence was correct.

John flew to London next week.

Perhaps in an alternate universe that would be a correct sentence.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.