Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I'm not really clear about the meaning of the term "list of figures".

I've always been of the opinion that this term is something like a list of contents but only for figures.

Fig. 1: Title ................................. p. 3
Fig. 2: Title.................................. p. 4

Now somebody asked me about how to call a "works cited" list of the figures that you use in a paper. Do I just integrate them into the 'normal' works cited list or is there a special heading for such a works cited list just for figures?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've always been of the opinion that this term is something like a list of contents but only for figures.

Exactly, yes.

Now somebody asked me about how to call a "works cited" list of the figures that you use in a paper. Do I just integrate them into the 'normal' works cited list or is there a special heading for such a works cited list just for figures?

It's not clear exactly what you mean. I assume when you say "works cited list", you mean bibliography?

Do you mean that your paper includes figures from other sources?

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Well, yes. The "works cited list" is supposed to be the bibliography. Is that the place where I put the references for my figures?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could do a separate list of figures if there are enough to warrant it.

Think about it from the reader's point of view. What would you prefer to see if you were the reader?

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
An interesting thought!

But this separate list of figures you mentioned - is it supposed to be the one I mentioned at the beginning?

Or is it a collection of all the sources where the figures were taken from? I'd rather include that one in my bibliography.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
An interesting thought!

But this separate list of figures you mentioned - is it supposed to be the one I mentioned at the beginning? Or is it a collection of all the sources where the figures were taken from? I'd rather include that one in my bibliography.

Why not both? (Or reference them in your bibliography if you prefer.)

Is your paper written as part of an educational course? If so, I assume your institution/tutor could provide you with guidelines for this.

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
That's true,

but I wanted to find out about it by myself ;-) --- which I was not not successful with. Thank you very much for your help / assistance.

What my tutor did was to tell us not to forget to put a "list of figures" in our papers. I suppose he was talking about the "figure number matches page number" thing mentioned above, if that's the most common use of that term.