Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
The Tehran Jomeh Bazaar, literally meaning “Friday Bazaar”, which is comparable to Portobello Road in London, is a popular street flea market held every Friday morning in an empty multi-story car park on Jomhuri Street, not far from Saa’di Metro Station.

Source: It was written by a non-native teacher (PDF file)

1) Does the first underlined part mean "which literally means"?
2) I am not sure which one is correct "street flea market" or "flea street market".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1) Yes.

2) Neither is colloquial: 'street' and 'flea' are not used together. A street market is held in a street – not a multi-storey car park. A flea market can be held anywhere.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Neither is colloquial: 'street' and 'flea' are not used together.
Thank you so much. I didn't know about that difference.

Now, in the source mentioned there are two sentences including "street market" as well.
I think I have to substitute the words "street market" with something like "the market", "this flea market" or "an open-air market".

I’m going to describe [STRIKE]a street market [/STRIKE] a flea market / an open-air market that I’ve enjoyed visiting many times in Tehran.
This [STRIKE]street market[/STRIKE] market is a jewel for those who like the thrill of hunting down treasures.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

hunting for treasures

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
From the photos in Google images, it does not look much like a flea market to me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's in a garage, it's not open-air. A street market is open-air. A garage market is enclosed.

A flea market can be indoors or outdoors. It's simply a place where people gather to buy and sell old, used things. There is no new merchandise.

The expression flea market is a kind of joke. When you buy things at a flea market, you're really shopping for fleas, because old, used things are full of fleas.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
You are right. The Tehran Jomeh Bazaar is located inside an empty multi-story car park. It is enclosed not an open-air. This market sells both used and new things. So, what does this type of market is called in English?

Last edited:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although we don't use the word much, you can just call it a bazaar. Anglophones will probably know that that's an informal marketplace full of small shops or stalls, and the word has an appealing air of exoticism to us.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

What is this type of market called in English?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are right. The Tehran Jomeh Bazaar is located inside an empty multi-story car park. It is enclosed not [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] open-air. This market sells both used and new things. So, what is [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] this type of market [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] called in English?
Adding to my previous post, you can also call it a market, as you already have. :)

Note the correct way to form a question. We invert the main verb when it's a modal or a helping verb like "to be", "to have", or "to do". Otherwise we add the helping verb "to do" and invert it.

Question with helping verb or modal: What is this type of market called in English? What should I call it in English?
Statement: This type of market is called a bazaar in English. You should call it a bazaar.

Question with other verbs: What do you say in English?
Statement: You say bazaar.

Last edited: