Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct. I am not sure if my second sentence sounds natural.

Little Maria had been missing for a few hours and her parents were beside themselves. Later when she turned up in the evening, they were both relieved and furious. They told her never to go anywhere without telling them first.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think beside themselves requires a little more information: with worry, with fear,​ etc. You can be beside yourself with joy, for example, and the next sentence suggests this was not the emotion in question.

Later doesn't work with in the evening. Leave it out.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I'm not sure about, beside yourself with joy, at least not in BrE. I only associate to be beside oneself with negative emotions. I do agree though that it could do with a bit more information.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure about, beside yourself with joy, at least not in BrE. I only associate to be beside oneself with negative emotions. I do agree though that it could do with a bit more information.
Now that you mention it, I think the expression is reserved for negative emotions over here, too.