Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
The following is part of a passage:

Because of its large student body ( often exceeding 20,000) consisting of many people from different countries the university exposes its students to many different cultural, social, and out-of-class programmes. On the other hand, the smaller, more homogeneous students body of the small college affords greater opportunities in such activities.

I don't think this is logic. The last sentence should be ...... the small college affords less opportunities in such activities. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Because of its large student body ( often exceeding 20,000) consisting of many people from different countries the university exposes its students to many different cultural, social, and out-of-class programmes. On the other hand, the smaller, more homogeneous students body of the small college affords greater opportunities in such activities.

I don't think this is logic. The last sentence should be ...... the small college affords less opportunities in such activities. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

You are right. It doesn't seem to make much sense. You would think they would say something different. Perhaps: "A small college affords closer relationships between students and instructors. In a small college the professors are more likely to be teaching classes."

:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I agree with you and Ron. This is poorly written. I think what the author is trying to say is that a large school offers a wider range of activities, but some individuals will find it easier to participate in activities in a smaller school, where they may be better known and where there is less competition. For example, it would be very difficult to play football for a large university. Most of the players are recruited and are on athletic scholarships. In a small college, a smaller and less-talented player might be able to make the team. :wink:

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:D
Many thanks!
RonBee said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

You are right. It doesn't seem to make much sense. You would think they would say something different. Perhaps: "A small college affords closer relationships between students and instructors. In a small college the professors are more likely to be teaching classes."

:)

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Many thanks!
MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I agree with you and Ron. This is poorly written. I think what the author is trying to say is that a large school offers a wider range of activities, but some individuals will find it easier to participate in activities in a smaller school, where they may be better known and where there is less competition. For example, it would be very difficult to play football for a large university. Most of the players are recruited and are on athletic scholarships. In a small college, a smaller and less-talented player might be able to make the team. :wink:
:D :D :D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Many thanks!
MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

:D :D :D

You're welcome! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.