logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesson cui

Member Type
Student or Learner
for some it is a dream;for you its a dream come true. from www.ecomomist.com (advertise logo)

i cann't understand its here.for you its a dream come true. i am puzzled over this sentence's grammer. if you can answer it, i will be grateful.thank you.

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
for some it is a dream;for you its a dream come true. from www.ecomomist.com (advertise logo)

i cann't understand its here.for you its a dream come true. i am puzzled over this sentence's grammer. if you can answer it, i will be grateful.thank you.

I'm not a professional teacher, but the phrase has been written without the apostrophe that would normally be present in "it's". The apostrophe serves to indicate that "it's" is a contraction of "it is". Thus, the phrase can be rewritten in this way:

for some it is a dream;for you it is a dream come true.

jesson cui

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm not a professional teacher, but the phrase has been written without the apostrophe that would normally be present in "it's". The apostrophe serves to indicate that "it's" is a contraction of "it is". Thus, the phrase can be rewritten in this way:

for some it is a dream;for you it is a dream come true.

if you are correct, grammatically the sentence for you it is a dream come true may be written like this: for you it is a dream that will come true. thank you.:?:

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
if you are correct, grammatically the sentence for you it is a dream come true may be written like this: for you it is a dream that will come true. thank you.:?:

Simply put, no. "it is a dream come true" may be expanded to "it is a dream that has come true". In other words, "it's a dream come true" refers to a dream that has already come true, not one that is yet to come true at some future time.

Status
Not open for further replies.