Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone
I'd like to ask about the meaning of "scalp" in the following context.

Jopale assumed she was heading west, perhaps even to the New Isles.
But no, she explained that she didn't have any ticket. She'd heard about his plans and simply come here to speak with him now.
"Please," she implored, touching her wide mouth, then running a hand across her long, elegant scalp.

Does "scalp" mean "hair" in this case.

fromatto

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello everyone
I'd like to ask about the meaning of "scalp" in the following context.

Jopale assumed she was heading west, perhaps even to the New Isles.
But no, she explained that she didn't have any ticket. She'd heard about his plans and simply come here to speak with him now.
"Please," she implored, touching her wide mouth, then running a hand across her long, elegant scalp.

Does "scalp" mean "hair" in this case.

It probably does, but it sounds like you are quoting from a badly translated piece of writing. Nobody has a long, elegant scalp ! (Nobody I know, anyway). It probably means that she runs her hand through her hair.

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It probably does, but it sounds like you are quoting from a badly translated piece of writing. Nobody has a long, elegant scalp ! (Nobody I know, anyway). It probably means that she runs her hand through her hair.
Thank you very much again, fromatto.

Although I'm not a native speaker, the "long elegant scalp" does sound very odd to me. The most surprising thing is that the story I'm quting from is not a translation, it's written by a modern american writer.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps it means the simply her head? She had a shapely head? I don't find it very natural.

fromatto

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you very much again, fromatto.

Although I'm not a native speaker, the "long elegant scalp" does sound very odd to me. The most surprising thing is that the story I'm quting from is not a translation, it's written by a modern american writer.

It's possible then, that something bad is going to happen in the story. Native Americans (the American Indians), took pride in removing the scalp from their victims. This was known as 'scalping'. The more scalps you took, the better and more fiercesome warrior you were. Maybe the writer is drawing the reader's attention to the imminence of Jopale's death. I'm sure my interpretation is rubbish !

Last edited:

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Perhaps it means the simply her head? She had a shapely head? I don't find it very natural.
The author does not describe her appearance in details. He only says that she was a natural beauty and that she had a lovely face.

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's possible then, that something bad is going to happen in the story. Native Americans (the American Indians), took pride in removing the scalp from their victims. This was known as 'scalping'. The more scalps you took, the better and more fiercesome warrior you were. Maybe the writer is drawing the reader's attention to the imminence of Jopale's death. I'm sure my interpretation is rubbish !
Well, I have not read the story to the end but, indeed, something bad is going to happen because the whole world is in danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.