lose their tans???

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
a question again, :?

what does "purple-eyed males will lose their tans before marriage" mean? pls help.

Tks,
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
two more questions,

1) what is "evangelistic thievery"? is it a sect or a person who tries to secretly teach a new religion? if not, what is it?

2) when someone says "your life is not waiting." does it mean we have to do things real quick, like change now. 'coz life is too short, or what?

tks,
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All of those phrases are foreign to me in the sense that I have never seen them before. I would have to guess at their meaning, and to do that I would need more context.

:)
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Ok, see the context below:

1) evangelistic thievery

Moral issues.
Abortion, the butchery of dolphins, the rain forests, the animal rights, evangelistic thievery, mercy killing, etc. If you are giving your attention to it, seeing only the horror, feeling the transgressions, you are adding to it and making it bigger.

2) purple-eyed males

80% of purple-eyed males will lose their tans before marriage. Awful! Forget that damn statistics!

*** I don't know if this context helps :-( ****

3) your life is waiting

This is a title of Lynn Grabhorn's best seller book, Excuse me, Your Life is Waiting. I don't understand why she has to say "your life is waiting". The book is about to change our feeling, just to feel good, that I wonder if "your life is waiting" implies "do it now!"

Tks,
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Might evangelistic thievery being the poaching of people by dubious means? I know that Christian missionaries in India have been telling sex workers that if they convert, they won't getAIDS. Could it be that?

Is purple-eyed the same as red-eyed? Affected by excessive drinking?

Your life is waiting suggests that you will discover the real you in the future if you buy this book. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
beeja said:
Ok, see the context below:

1) evangelistic thievery

Moral issues.
Abortion, the butchery of dolphins, the rain forests, the animal rights, evangelistic thievery, mercy killing, etc. If you are giving your attention to it, seeing only the horror, feeling the transgressions, you are adding to it and making it bigger.

2) purple-eyed males

80% of purple-eyed males will lose their tans before marriage. Awful! Forget that damn statistics!

*** I don't know if this context helps :-( ****

3) your life is waiting

This is a title of Lynn Grabhorn's best seller book, Excuse me, Your Life is Waiting. I don't understand why she has to say "your life is waiting". The book is about to change our feeling, just to feel good, that I wonder if "your life is waiting" implies "do it now!"

Tks,

I am as puzzled as you are, especially about the first two. I think your life is waiting probably means good things are going to happen to you, but that's just a guess.

:?
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
beeja said:
2) purple-eyed males

80% of purple-eyed males will lose their tans before marriage. Awful! Forget that damn statistics!

I think this one might just be an attack on the silly overuse of statistics. It's probably meant to be meaningless. ;-)
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
tdol said:
beeja said:
2) purple-eyed males

80% of purple-eyed males will lose their tans before marriage. Awful! Forget that damn statistics!

I think this one might just be an attack on the silly overuse of statistics. It's probably meant to be meaningless. ;-)

Yeah! That's the writer's intention. Anyway, I just wonder what the purple-eyed males are and why they have to lost their tan.

Purple can be used to described that a person is angry but why angry man will lost their tans before marriage. What is the meaning of the idiom (or slang??) "lose a tan"? Does it mean "to do some weird things (like bachelor's party) before getting married???

:roll:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think that "statistic" has any connection to reality. It was probably just made up.

:)
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
so....forget about silly stats or reality, what still confuse me are...

1) What does "purple-eyed" mean? Angry?? or Drunk??

2) What does "lost their tan" mean? Is it supposed to mean "Being wild"???

Thanks!
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
beeja said:
so....forget about silly stats or reality, what still confuse me are...

1) What does "purple-eyed" mean? Angry?? or Drunk??

2) What does "lost their tan" mean? Is it supposed to mean "Being wild"???

Thanks!

If it's a made up statistic, then it doesn't really mean anything. The expressions green-eyed (for envy) and red-eyed are used, but not purple-eyed. A person loses his tan because he is not out in the sun as much as when he gained the tan in the first place. It has nothing to do with marriage.

:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top