Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Whose lust? The speaker's?

------------------
As I stare at the Memorial, brooding over humanity's inhumanity, a lithe, tanned woman jogs past me in a halter-top and silky shorts. She’s burning calories to stay fit. Lust curdles into resentment toward her and the suited men and women strolling past me, or sitting at a sidewalk café, sipping cocktails and nibbling hors d’oeuvres, across the street from the Hunger Memorial.

Source

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it's the speaker's lust. Initially he/she feels lust because of the jogger's physical appearance but he/she then begins to feel resentment at the fact that she (and the other people mentioned) are going about their daily business seemingly oblivious to the important memorial that is so close to them.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "lust" here mean "very strong sexual desire, especially when it does not include love"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When it's directed towards someone you don't know, yes. You can, however, feel lust for someone you are also in love with.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As I stare at the Memorial, brooding over humanity's inhumanity, a lithe, tanned woman jogs past me in a halter-top and silky shorts. She’s burning calories to stay fit. Lust curdles into resentment toward her and the suited men and women strolling past me, or sitting at a sidewalk café, sipping cocktails and nibbling hors d’oeuvres, across the street from the Hunger Memorial.

Why does the author's lust curdle into resentment?

First, the author sees the lithe woman and feels lust.
Then, he remembers the Hunger and her burning calories to stay fit enrages him.

Is this what the author wants to show us?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I think you're right. I didn't spot the connection the first time but I think you've hit the nail on the head. The jogger has enough food to eat that she can afford to burn off calories by going running, and the business people have the money, time and opportunity to drink cocktails and eat hors d'oeuvres, both of which would certainly be considered luxuries, within sight of a memorial to hunger. The writer finds this very disrespectful.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be the other people watching her.

Status
Not open for further replies.