Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I can't make out the meaning of the following sentence.
The viruses and parasites are just hitching a ride. But this is what makes mortal enemies out of us and mosquitoes.
What does that mean the clause written in bold letters
I haven't understand the meaning.If you were to express in a different way or sentence I would be happy. Thanks beforehand

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't make out the meaning of the following sentence.
The viruses and parasites are just hitching a ride. But this is what makes mortal enemies out of us and mosquitoes.
What does that mean the clause written in bold letters
I don't understand the meaning. (space) If you were to express in a different way or sentence I would be happy. Thanks. (delete: beforehand)

Have you Googled "mortal enemy"?

Mosquitoes are our mortal enemies because of the diseases they carry. The diseases make us mortal enemies. Without the diseases, mosquitoes would not be our enemies.

Does it make sense now?

Don't say "beforehand." It was obviously beforehand, because you wrote it before hitting the post button.

suffi12

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I know the meaning of "mortal enemy." I think it was "out of. " But now I 've got the meaning. Thanks

suffi12

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Not a teacher.

Don't say "beforehand." It was obviously beforehand, because you wrote it before hitting the post button.
They say so in Turkish . I mean " before the answer." Of course it can be wrong. I don't know. I'm a teacher in Turkey . Philosophy teacher at a high-school .As you see I do not empty I'm learning English.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

They say so in Turkish. They say what in Turkish?

I mean "before the answer." No one mentioned "before the answer".

Of course, [STRIKE]it can[/STRIKE] I could be wrong. I don't know. I'm a philosophy teacher [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at a high school in Turkey. [STRIKE]Philosophy teacher at a high-school .[/STRIKE]

As you see I
do not empty I'm learning English. This whole sentence makes no sense.

See my comments and corrections above. It is good of you to try to help other learners but please ensure that you write "Not a teacher" at the top of any response.