Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Are my sentences grammatically correct?

Mark and his wife Suzanne took their grandchildren to Italy to show them the great paintings by Leonardo and Caravaggio, but were disappointed to see them staring at their iPhones instead of enjoying the pictures of the famous artists. They agreed that the travel was like throwing pearls before swine.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Pictures of the famous artists" would be images featuring the faces of Leonardo and Caravaggio. I think you mean the famous artists' paintings.

Write the trip, not the travel.

The rest is OK, though Mark and Suzanne should not have neglected Michelangelo and the other great Renaissance artists. :)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I will repeat my sentence again.

Mark and his wife Suzanne took their grandchildren to Italy to show them the great paintings by Leonardo and Caravaggio, but were disappointed to see them staring at their iPhones instead of enjoying the work of famous Renaissance artists. They agreed that the trip was like throwing pearls before swine.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've heard "casting" pearls more than "throwing" pearls.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are my sentences grammatically correct?

Mark and his wife, Suzanne​, took their grandchildren to Italy to show them the great paintings by Leonardo and Caravaggio​ (no comma) but were disappointed to see ​the kids staring at their iPhones instead of enjoying the pictures ​by the famous artists. They agreed that ​taking the trip was like throwing pearls before swine.

1: Be careful about pronoun confusion. Readers will figure out, of course that "them" isn't the painters, but it's better to be clear than to make us work.

2: Pay attention to parallelism. The words "trip" and "throwing" aren't like each other. In a simile, compare nouns to nouns or verbs to verbs, not nouns to verbs.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use a comma after Caravaggio.
I don't think it takes much effort to figure out the antecedent of 'them' in that sentence. I would use the pronoun.

Re the comma: In the US, commas separate compound sentences and series of three or more. This is a series of just two, so we wouldn't put a comma there.

Okay: They took their grandchildren but were disappointed.
Okay: They took their grandchildred, but they were disappointed.
Not okay: They took their grandchildren, but were disappointed.

Re the pronoun. Yes, I completely agree that it's not necessary. But since there are other nouns (Leonard and Carvagio) between the pronoun and the noun it refers to (grandchildren), using a pronoun there isn't a great idea. It's a slight speed bump.

Avoiding ambiguous pronouns would be a good habit for Bassim to develop, so why not start here?