Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

educator

Member Type
English Teacher
Is it better to marry someone of approximately the same age? Should the man be older than the woman?:cool:

julianna

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
man should be older than woman.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Here is some data:

Age at first marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marriage seems to occur at an earlier age in less developed nations. The male is, on average, always slightly older than the female. The list does not have a single nation where younger men marry older women.

Probably because in less developed countries, marriage is more likely to be a practical decision as much as a personal one. I would guess that within any given country, people from well-off backgrounds will tend to marry later too.

But anyway, I think people should marry whoever they want, so I don't really have an opinion about other people's choices. But I think men generally find younger women attractive and women find older men attractive, so obviously most people will be with someone that reflects that.

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Is it better to marry someone of approximately the same age?
Yes, because there're more things to share with someone of the same age.

Trainp

Member Type
Other
Hi, all
I agree with Julianna that man should be older than woman.
And I think the appropriate age to marry of man is 30 and for woman is 28.
How do you think about my opinion?

Good luck !

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, all
I agree with Julianna that man should be older than woman.
And I think the appropriate age to marry of man is 30 and for woman is 28.
How do you think about my opinion?
You've picked some very specific criteria here. I'd like to know the reason for it. What is the practical difference between 28 and 30?

I can understand that, in very patriarchal societies where men are expected to keep their women under control and smack them around a bit, it's probably good for the man to be a bit older - since it gives him some symbolic 'superiority' or authority.
Marriages between men and women of very different ages can work just as well as marriage at a more traditional age (half of which end in divorce in Western societies anyway).

Amal-30

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
But I think men generally find younger women attractive and women find older men attractive.

I agree with you , and I think it is better for a wife to be younger than her husband .

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can anyone at all who has given this opinion that wives should be younger than their husbands answer my question - why?
Is it simply because that's the way it has always been, and no-one can think for themselves. Or is there a reason?
Is it code for: men are superior to women, therefore it should show externally and symbolically in an age difference?

Kätzchen

Member Type
Other
I'm older then my fiancé, so I certainly don't mind age differences one way or the other.
I don't think there can be any fixed rules to marriage anyway, everyone has their own needs.
Marry whoever you want: whatever their gender, age, situation; or don't marry at all, why should I care? You've got to live with each other, choose your own terms.

Hortence

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm older then my fiancé, so I certainly don't mind age differences one way or the other.
I don't think there can be any fixed rules to marriage anyway, everyone has their own needs.
Marry whoever you want: whatever their gender, age, situation; or don't marry at all, why should I care? You've got to live with each other, choose your own terms.

These are words of wisdom. I completely agree with you.

Last edited:

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Can anyone at all who has given this opinion that wives should be younger than their husbands answer my question - why?

I wouldn't say they should be, just that that's the way it often is because we naturally find ourselves attracted to younger women and older men more often than not. But as far as practical concerns go, it's easy to sit in a nice Western country where there is adequate prospects and social security and discount certain things as being a factor. But if I was planning on raising a family in a society without many of these things (at least not to the level I'm used to), then practical matters such as the ability to provide for your family, and the likelihood of your child being healthy would be a factor, and these things invariably favour older men and younger women. And obviously such attitudes become commonplace in a society where they are beneficial. But it takes longer to shift them when it's no longer the case (especially when they're essentially underpinned by biology as well).

Gray

Member Type
Student or Learner
In my opinion,age is not a big deal.The most important thing is the presence of love and uderstanding between a man and a woman.

Amal-30

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Is it simply because that's the way it has always been, and no-one can think for themselves. Or is there a reason?
Is it code for: men are superior to women, therefore it should show externally and symbolically in an age difference?

I don't mind to marry a man who is younger than me if he has all the characteristics I wish except the age!. Also wives shouldn't be younger than their husbands and I think custom has a role in this issue, that is why I say it is better for wives to be younger than their husbands.

nedira

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Age is not that important when it comes to the person that you are going to spend your whole life with. If I feel that he is mature and responsible enough, I would not mind his age. It is all a matter of feelings not age. It is up to him to make you feel that he is really capable of being the man of the house.

tramho31

Member Type
Student or Learner
So what age is suitable for woman to get married or for man too? What is the age difference between a woman and a man ?

zackcentury

Member Type
Student or Learner
So posts including "religion and politics" are not allowed, but ones with latent sexism are? choose one side of the fence, UE.com, and let us talk about everything, or nothing (besides English)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So posts including "religion and politics" are not allowed, but ones with latent sexism are? choose one side of the fence, UE.com, and let us talk about everything, or nothing (besides English)
I don't think it's as black and white as that, zack. As long as you're respectful, and you aren't deliberately stirring/trolling, pretty much all topics are allowed to the extent that they relate to English-speaking culture. Learning the culture of English-speaking countries can help learners to understanding and communicate with English-speaking people.
This thread is about marriage - that is a cultural phenomenon of relevance, I think.

sultanee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
Oman
I really don't care about age difference tha much
but i prefer my future wife to be younger than me

Status