[Vocabulary] Masaari spent six months in prison before fleeing from the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is the following OK?

Masaari spent six months in prison before fleeing from the country.

In dictionaries, flee have preposition "form/to/into". However, I don't know when I can use those prepositions, because we have the following example:

Masaari spent six months in prison before fleeing the country.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Flee" means "run away from" so "fleeing from the country" is like saying "running away from from the country". There is no need for a preposition in "fleeing the country".

Bear in mind that you can "flee to/into" somewhere without specifying where you started. In that case, a preposition is required.

He fled to France. (We know he ended up in France but we don't know where he started so we don't know where he ran away from.)
She fled into the kitchen. (We know where she ended up but we don't know where she started.)

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks emsr2d2. that was really great help. However, in some dictionaries we have from as a preposition of verb flee. How can we use that preposition while flee means run away from?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which dictionaries?

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As far as dictionaries go

The on-line Merriam Webster dictionary uses the preposition "from" with "flee" in this example

The family fled from the war-torn zone.

The on-line Cambridge Dictionary views the use of "from" as optional.

She fled (from) the room in tears.

So the use of the preposition "from" with the various forms of the verb "to flee" is certainly not incorrect.

In my view the choice of which preposition you use depends on what you are trying to say as per these examples.

You would use "from" when talking about the source of the problem or reason for the flight. Personally, I think it is a coin flip as to whether I use "from" or leave it out.

He is fleeing (from) the violence in this city.

You would use "to" when indicating the direction of flight.

She fled to her mother when her husband became abusive.

You would use "into" when entering a border or enclosure

The thief fled into the church to get sanctuary from the police.

You can use many prepositions after this word these are just examples. You just follow the general rules regarding the use of prepositions.

As far as your example goes, I would leave the preposition "from" out. Using "from" is not incorrect but dropping this word sounds better to me.

Masaari spent six months in prison before fleeing the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.