Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everybody,
Would you please tell me the meaning of these sentenses?

1)play the odds on somthing
2)What brings you to my manner?
3)Grow a spine
4)Shock the shit out of somebody.

Thanks in advance,;-)

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
I am not an English teacher, but I can comment on the meaning of (3) and (4), and possibly (2).

Telling someone to "grow a spine" (or "a backbone") is telling them to develop or display some courage. It implies that the person lacks courage or is behaving in a weak-willed and unassertive manner.

"To shock the shit out of someone" means to give them a very big fright, to subject them to an experience so terrifying, frightening or surprising that it causes them to evacuate fecal matter. Although this can happen literally, the expression is an example of hyperbole.

I would be interested to know if the word in (2) is "manner" or "manor". If the expression was "What brings you to my manor?" it would simply mean, "why have you come to my house?" or other location, such as workplace or some place that the speaker considers to be their own property. If the expression is "What brings you to my manner?", then its meaning escapes me.

zoobinshid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks you Stuartnz for the great replies,now i wonder if anyone can help me out with the first sentence;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.