Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In the news it says:

Mercury dips to 10.2 degrees Celsius in Chiayi

Taipei, Dec. 22 (CNA) The temperature dropped to 10.2 degrees Celsius in Chiayi early Friday morning, the lowest recorded in a flatland area in Taiwan this winter, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) said.

http://focustaiwan.tw/search/201712220005.aspx?q=mercury
------------------

Does it mean the following?

(The) Mercury dips to 10.2 degrees Celsius in Chiayi

Taipei, Dec. 22 (CNA) The temperature dropped to 10.2 degrees Celsius in Chiayi early Friday morning, the lowest (degrees Celsius) (which are) recorded in a flatland area in Taiwan this winter, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) said.

J

J&K Tutoring

You have the correct understanding, but you need some work on your verb tenses.

...the lowest [STRIKE]([/STRIKE][STRIKE]degrees Celsius) (which are) [/STRIKE] temperature which has been recorded in a flatland area in Taiwan this winter...

We need to use the present perfect tense, as we are talking about something (recording low temperatures) that began in the past (the beginning of winter), has continued up to now, and will keep going (winter is not over- temperatures may go lower still).

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
...the lowest [STRIKE]([/STRIKE][STRIKE]degrees Celsius) (which are) [/STRIKE] temperature which has been recorded in a flatland area in Taiwan this winter...

We need to use the present perfect tense, as we are talking about something (recording low temperatures) that began in the past (the beginning of winter), has continued up to now, and will keep going (winter is not over- temperatures may go lower still).

Does 'as' here mean 'when' or 'because'?

I think it means 'when', but I am not sure. Could you tell me the reason?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think it means 'because', as we are talking about something specific in your sentence.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I took it to mean because too.