Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Do the words "motorist" and "driver" mean the same? What is the most noticeable difference between the two? I don't know, frankly, what context to give. There are many examples from the dictionary ( https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/driver) for "driver". I'll copy and paste here a half of them. Is it possible to change "driver" to "motorist" in these examples?

• ‘Surely, however, the views of the drivers of the 40,000 vehicles, who often are themselves residents of the wider local area, are equally important.’
  • ‘If he's a student, a daily driver probably drives a vehicle that used to belong to his parents.’
  • ‘Speeding by drivers of heavy vehicles, especially those of private buses, has become a real threat to fellow road users and pedestrians alike.’
  • ‘Clearways and other parking restrictions will be in force on roads around the racecourse and police have warned drivers their vehicles will be towed away if parked illegally.’
  • ‘Many truck drivers also park their vehicles in this area.’
  • ‘People of all ages stood on the footpaths cheering on the vehicles and their drivers as they passed through the towns generously donating into the collection boxes.’
  • ‘Recently, drivers of high-accessibility vehicles have been using the cart-tracks and even the meadows as short cuts.’
  • ‘This is because, car owners are more careful drivers, than heavy vehicle drivers.’
  • ‘The arrests came after the police received reports that a gang of youths were allegedly hurling racist abuse at taxi drivers and damaging vehicles.’
  • ‘Others will be taxi drivers, students, shopkeepers or their sons.’
  • ‘He proposed the council give incentives to taxi drivers to convert their vehicles to liquefied petroleum gas, which is much cleaner.’
  • ‘Utility workers, Social Security employees, students and taxi drivers rallied in support of the strikers in San Jose on the same day.’
  • ‘Why don't you get the opinion of people who use the system, such as bus drivers and taxi drivers, instead of someone down the road?’
  • ‘That, in the view of this paper and thousands of frustrated motorists, bus passengers, taxi drivers and truckers, is totally unacceptable.’

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it possible to change "driver" to "motorist" in these examples?
If you had looked up motorist in the same dictionary, you would have seen that it clearly isn't possible.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
If you had looked up motorist in the same dictionary, you would have seen that it clearly isn't possible.
I had looked up "motorist" as well, but I can't see the difference.
"Driver" - A person who drives a vehicle.
"Motorist" - The driver of a car.
Looking through the examples for both words didn't give me any clear picture either, unfortunately. :-(

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To take just one example:

• ‘Many truck drivers also park their vehicles in this area.’

A truck is not a car.

Here is a truck among lots of cars:

images

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
So "motorist" is for car drivers only, right? Not buses, trucks, motorbikes and so on?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
And not for taxis, as I can see. So it should be some private kind of car (if it's possible to say so). Right?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Only driver can be used for someone who drives professionally.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you can't talk about the motorist of a car. A car's driver may be a motorist in journalistic English, but it doesn't work the other way around.