motorist / used

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
Can the word "motorist" replace "driver" ?

- The car skidded off the road because the motorist lost control of the car.


2) Can "used" replace "second-hand" :?

I am going to sell my used books (or second-hand ones) ^?

Thank You.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AndreaLima said:
Can the word "motorist" replace "driver" ?

- The car skidded off the road because the motorist lost control of the car.

That would be unusual, but, yes, you can. In AE we would be more likely to use "motorist" when speaking in general terms, for example: "There are going to be a large number of motorists on the highways this weekend."

AndreaLima said:
2) Can "used" replace "second-hand" :?

I am going to sell my used books (or second-hand ones) ^?

Not exactly. For one thing, you can have second hand clothes, but you can't have second hand books. Also, while you can have used books, used clothes would, I think, be an unusual usage.

(A synonym for second-hand clothes is hand-me-downs.)

:)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AE we would invariably say the driver lost control of the car.

:)
 

dduck

Member
Joined
May 24, 2003
RonBee said:
Not exactly. For one thing, you can have second hand clothes, but you can't have second hand books. Also, while you can have used books, used clothes would, I think, be an unusual usage.

(A synonym for second-hand clothes is hand-me-downs.)

:)

I would use 'second hand book' without a thought. Also, to me, hand-me-downs are clothes that are reused within a family. My brother had to wear my hand-me-downs. However, if you buy clothes from a charity shop they aren't hand-me-downs - they're just used clothes.

Iain
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
dduck said:
My brother had to wear my hand-me-downs. However, if you buy clothes from a charity shop they aren't hand-me-downs - they're just used clothes.

That is true.

:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top