Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I'm looking for the proper name for the room primary teachers use at school for various activities . I've already found multipurpose room. Is it a name actually used in schools ?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, it was used in my elementary school, believe it or not. For most of the years when I attended that school, everyone referred to that particular room as the "gym," because that was its main purpose, even though there were tables that folded out of the walls during lunchtime so we could use it as a cafeteria. It also had a stage at one end, and thus was used as an auditorium when necessary, and also served as the meeting place for the PTA and other groups. Anyway, long story short, we'd always called it the gym, but when I was in the sixth grade the school building did some remodeling - new paint, updated plumbing in the bathrooms, etc, as well as wall placques identifying certain rooms, such as "Teachers Lounge" and "Principal's Office." To our surprise, the sign outside the gym read "Multi-Purpose Room." :-o

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At English schools there's a requirement (enforced by the Office of Standards in Education, commonly known as 'OfStEd' - which has beome a verb in very informal usage: 'We're being OfStEdded next week') for a daily gathering of the whole school. This isn't physically possible in many schools; so 'Assembly' (which we had in my school 600-700 boys in one hall) can often be divided in some way - 'Upper School Assembly', 'Year 7 Assembly'...). The Assembly Hall is used for other purposes as needed.

b

CHOMAT

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thanks Bob,
I do remember the Assembly on the morning . However, as far as I can remember it, the room does not correspond to la salle polyvalente in which sport, music are practised.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Bob,
I do remember the Assembly on the morning . However, as far as I can remember it, the room does not correspond to la salle polyvalente in which sport, music are practised.

It depends on the Assembly Hall. At my secondary school it was chiefly for Assembly, and presentations/displays - drama and so on. But at my primary school, and at my daughter's secondary school, the Assembly Hall was equipped as a gymnasium.

b

CHOMAT

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Quite right Bob ! Thanks for the details.
Alain:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.