Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you have no work, what do you say? Can I say as follows?

I got a call from Mr. XX and he told me that there would be an important business meeting atXX at 3:00 tomorrow. As you know, tomorrow is my day off and i would like you to attend the meeing.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK

I got a call from Mr. XX and he told me that there would be an important business meeting atXX at 3:00 tomorrow. As you know, tomorrow is my day off and i would like you to attend the meeing.

yes, you can say : to have a day off or

just: to be off

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other

Mr. XX rang to tell me that there would be an important business meeting at YY tomorrow at 3.00. As you know, tomorrow is my day off, so I would like you to attend in my place.

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand

I got a call from Mr. XX and he told me that there would be an important business meeting atXX at 3:00 tomorrow. As you know, tomorrow is my day off and i would like you to attend the meeting for me.

You have written almost exactly as I would have. I use that "I got a call from X" construction a lot, and hear it often too. It and the construction David L. suggested are equally common in NZ English, at least in the day-to-day business register of the people I work with and for.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
I gave that as the kind of economy of words in colloquial speech - it took 5 words compared to 10 !

Status
Not open for further replies.