Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
I’ve always had a thirst for adventure and often get itchy feet. I can say that I had the most amazing adventure many years ago, when a group of friends and I had a great chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city to explore some caves near an ancient village in the countryside. That was also the last summer when my friends and I were going to be together before heading off to university, so it was good to do something special, something memorable.

Source: It was written by a native teacher.

Is "that" dummy here?
Why did the author used the verb tense "be + going to"? Can we used "My friends and I would be together" instead of the whole bold part?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"That" refers back to the summer when they went to explore the caves. Yes, "... my friends and I would be together" could be used instead.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did the author use the verb tense "be + going to"? Can we use "my friends and I would be together" instead of the whole bold part?

Please note corrections. (If you were rewriting that, "my friends and I would be together" would be a good replacement for the part in bold.)

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Can we use "in which" instead of "when"?
That was also the last summer in which my friends and I were going to be together before heading off to university, so it was good to do something special, something memorable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't like "in which" there. What's wrong with using "when"? (You could delete "when" altogether. Say: "That was the last summer my friends and I were going to be together....")