my pronunciation problems..zoo as joo

Status
Not open for further replies.

reenamma

Member Type
Student or Learner
hi

i am an indian. i live in the UK. i have problems with my pronunciation . my friends say my pronunciation of Z(zoo), p (pin), v (vet)and W(wet) are wrong. they say I pronounce them as 'joo', 'bin' etc.... how can i practise the correct pronunciation.???...I would like to get some games...i know myself as a kinesthetic learner...rather than a visual or auditory....i love to get some physical games or exercises... pls...

pls help me

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
You need someone to help you with the position of your tongue and teeth for the j -oo sound versus z-oo sound, so that kinesthetically you can feel the difference and practice it.
eg for 'j', the teeth are fully clenched, not so for 'z'

then practice 's' ; and then feel how it is changed into a 'z' by changing the position of the tongue and lips

Last edited:

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hi

i am an indian. i live in the UK. i have problems with my pronunciation . my friends say my pronunciation of Z(zoo), p (pin), v (vet)and W(wet) are wrong. they say I pronounce them as 'joo', 'bin' etc.... how can i practise the correct pronunciation.???...I would like to get some games...i know myself as a kinesthetic learner...rather than a visual or auditory....i love to get some physical games or exercises... pls...

pls help me

Put your fingers on your Adam's apple (voice-box, larynx, the bit that sticks out more prominently on a man's throat than on a woman's) and feel the difference as you change from /s/ to /z/; your tongue stays in the same position, and the difference between the sounds all (well, largely) comes from the voice-box.

Do the same with the sounds /f/ and /v/. The major difference between the sounds of "fat" and "vat" is in the voicing of the first consonant (I would have said 'fet' if there had been such a word!) Your "v" should be just an /f/ with voicing turned on. In contrast, in /w/ no part of the mouth is in contact with any other (it's called a "frictionless continuant"), so if you can feel any friction in your mouth while you're saying "w" you need to get a teacher (face-to-face) to put you right.

The /p/ - /b/ difference isn't quite so simple. There's a voicing difference, but there's also a tiny puff of air after the /p/ (of varying strengths, depending on the context). Most English speakers aren't conscious of this, and it would be a mistake to make a conscious effort to copy it (you'd almost certainly go too far ;-)) - but it's why English slang uses the word 'plonk' to mean 'cheap wine'; it's due to a mis-hearing of the French blanc (WWI British soldiers I think - but possibly earlier).

Generally, feeling your voice-box as you change consonants is a useful exercise. It works best with fricatives, because you can keep up a continuous stream of sound: fffffffffffffffvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvffffffffffffffff ssssssssssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzssssssssss ....

b

Status
Not open for further replies.