Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
Hi,
I have 2 questions today.
1. is it ok to use absolute to replace exclusive in this sentence as i have paraphrased it ' Exclusive use of Maltese is associated with linguistic purism". and the purism gives me a bit hard understanding.
2. "The finding is 10-100% of uses of English. " or " The finding is of 10-100% uses of English." Which is correct??
THANK YOU.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
1. is it ok to use absolute to replace exclusive in this sentence as i have paraphrased it ' Exclusive use of Maltese is associated with linguistic purism".
-Absolute can convey that sense, but in the sentence, the focus is on the exclusiveness of the language. That is, Maltese must be the only language that the speakers are allowed to speak.

And the purism gives me a bit hard understanding.
Governments employ different strategies to consolidate their system.
Using a particular, usually a native, language exclusively and trying to eradicate other existing languages in a definite geographical area can be referred to as language purism.

2. "The finding is 10-100% of uses of English. " or " The finding is of 10-100% uses of English." Which is correct??
THANK YOU.
I'm not sure if I understand what the sentences mean, but let's try this:
-The finding includes 10-100% of English usages/ uses.
C

Last edited:

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,
1. is it ok to use absolute to replace exclusive in this sentence as i have paraphrased it No, I think "Exclusive" is much better. Exclusive use of Maltese is associated with linguistic purism".

and the purism gives me a bit hard understanding. I don't know what you are trying to say here.

2. "The finding is 10-100% of uses of English. " or " The finding is of 10-100% uses of English." Which is correct?? Neither sentence is good. I don't know what you are trying to say.
THANK YOU.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In Malta, Maltese and English are co-official languages so this purism could reflect attitudes towards that.

doingresearch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
Many thanks again, sorry for my last two sentences. it came up suddenly from my translation after reading a journal paper so that it was not refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.