Native words

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

My daughter's homework assignment has a question that reads, "...there are ten little words in our English language that make up about one fifth of every one hundred word paragraph. These words are called native English words. List these ten little words:"

So far, she has: is, the, it, a, you, in

Which ones are we missing?

L

lucyarliwu

michaelwilliams2 said:
My daughter's homework assignment has a question that reads, "...there are ten little words in our English language that make up about one fifth of every one hundred word paragraph. These words are called native English words. List these ten little words:"

what about : no, he,or,to,us?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
michaelwilliams2 said:

Probably the most dependable list is from the Brown Corpus (which contains 1,015,945 words). Here is the top ten: the, of, and, to, a, in, that, is, was, he. The second ten: for, it, with, as, his, on, be, at, by, I. For some word lists, go here: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1345&highlight=frequently+used+english+words

:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
lucyarliwu said:
michaelwilliams2 said:

what about : no, he,or,to,us?

Very good! Both he and to are in the top ten. Only us (at #128) is not in the top hundred.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.