Need advise on using present or past tense in answering, thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Helped Wanted

If a question ask:

Would you like to be as clever as Leonardo da Vinci? Why or Why not?

The answer to the first Q would be:

Yes, I would/ No, I would not.

The answer to the 2nd Q would be:

This (is or was???) because I will know everything without trying.

Should I answer the 2nd question in present tense or past tense, if I really need to begin it with "This....because.."?
Thanks very very much for helping again, teachers! :"(

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Present tense- the reason is that 'would like' is not a true conditional- it is not dependent on an if- clause. ;-)

H

Helped Wanted

Thanks for helping again, teacher Tdol but I sort of got a little confused here.
So, referring to the Q above, I should use present tense in answering it as in:
This is because I will know everything without trying.

However, in one of the replies you posted earlier which suggested to use this sequence of tenses "This is because I would..." . Hence, should I change the will to would in the sentence above, quoted again here (... I will or would??? know everything without trying.)

Similarly, you have agreed that the following ones are also correct.

2. This is because if someone (did not or doesn't???) understand sth, I ( can or could???) help him or them.

3. Yes, I would. This is because I (can or could???)get to know the names of all flowers and insects.

Soooo sorry for troubling you again, teacher Tdol! Please advise again, thanks! :"(

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you are talking about an imaginary situation, use the past and would- you aren't Leondardo, so everything is imaginary. We show this by using the past and would.;-)

H

Helped Wanted

Hence, I should use "would" instead of "will" in:

This is because I <WOULD> know everything without trying. ( AM I RIGHT?)

The answer begins with "This is because" since the Q begins with 'Would you like...' which is not a true conditional & not dependent on an if- clause. ( AM I RIGHT?)

The reason following "This is because...." should be in the past tense form (2nd conditional) if I mention that I was someone else as in:

<This is because if I were as clever as Leonardo, my parents would be very happy. ( AM I RIGHT?)>

What if I didn't mention " If I were...." in the reason but went straight to giving the reason as in:

This is because I (can or could???)get to know the names of all flowers and insects.
( I should also choose the past tense form "COULD", shouldn't I?)

Hope I did make myself clear to you here, teacher Tdol! PLEASE ADVISE AGAIN, soooooo sorry for keep bothering you all this time.Thanks! :"(

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're right about the tense. The use of 'this is because' is different, because it is present and true- the rest is your imagination.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.