Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm taking a correspondence course. This is one of the exercises that I need to submit. So please only grammar exerperts.

1.give the part of speach of each word in the following passge.

Here are what you can use : noun, pronoun,adjective,verb,(verbals)infinitive,gerund,participle, adverb,preposition, conjunction,interjection.

In the marshy mists of a deserted village churchyard, a shivering, limping convict on the run suddenly terrifies Pip, a tiny orphan boy. Years later, a supremely arrogant young Pip boards the coach to london where, by the grace of a mysterious benefactor, he will eagerly join the ranks of the idle rich and “become a gentleman.”

These are my answers.

In(prep) the marshy(adj) mists(noun) of(prep) a deserted(adv) village(adj) churchyard(noun), a shivering(adj), limping(adj) convict(noun) on the run suddenly(adv) terrifies(verb) Pip(noun), a tiny(adj) orphan(adj) boy(noun). Years later, a supremely(adv) arrogant(adj) young(adj) Pip(noun) boards(verb) the coach(noun) to(prep) london(noun) where, by the grace(noun) of(prep) a mysterious(adj) benefactor(noun), he(pronoun) will(verb) eagerly(adv) join(verb) the ranks(noun) of the idle(adj) rich(noun) and “become(verb) a gentleman(noun).”

are my answers good? I would like some help please. Other words in that paragraph I don't know what to classify them as.

thanks

Member Type
Academic
Just correct the following. The rest is OK.

deserted= Adjective
village= Noun (Yes. It is a noun though it premodifies another one)
orphan= Noun (Here again you have a noun that pre-modifies another one)

huxley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just correct the following. The rest is OK.

deserted= Adjective
village= Noun (Yes. It is a noun though it premodifies another one)
orphan= Noun (Here again you have a noun that pre-modifies another one)

yes, (deserted ) is an adjective..thanks... i should go review that rule about a comma between adjectives.... I think it's , you place a comma between the two if you can say "and" something like that.

secondly, why would (village) be a noun, because doesn't it describe/modify the word" churchyard"

and too, why would (orphan) be a noun, because doesn't it describe/modify the word"boy"

thanks again for the help.

Member Type
Academic
"Village" is simply a noun because it is a noun. You have however a good point.

Indeed it is a very good question.

In fact, the original sentence is:

A churchyard in a village

But as other languages, including Arabic (my mother tongue), do, a noun like "village" can come beofore another noun "churchyard" to modify it (i.e. to describe it).

If it is not clear, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.