new question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darren

Guest
when someone resembles another person, we'd say takes after him/her. But i m wondering if we can say they look similar? they are similar in appearance to each other.-correct? they look alike= they look similar??
besides, i have another totally different question: In Japan, people'd say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished his work. When it is translated, it'd mean ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? what would English native speakers say? other than that, when someone is leaving to work, s/he 'd say 'ittekimasu' ( which means i m going out and will come back later) and the one remains in the building( for example at home) 'd say 'itterashya' in respone ( sory dont know how to translate this into English) I have been thinking if native speakers say the same like thing...........
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'They look similar' doesn't work for me; it's not wrong, but it doesn't collocate. ;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
darren said:
In Japan, people say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished work. When it is translated, it means ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? What would English native speakers say? Other than that, when someone is leaving to work s/he'd say 'ittekimasu', which means, I'm going out and will come back later, and the one remaining (at home) would say, 'itterashya' in response.

"Otsukaresama deshita" is roughly You did well today. Keep up the good work.

"Ittekimasu" is I'm leaving now. I'll see you/be back later.

"Itterashya" is roughly, OK. See you later then.

All the best,
 
D

darren

Guest
Casiopea said:
darren said:
In Japan, people say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished work. When it is translated, it means ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? What would English native speakers say? Other than that, when someone is leaving to work s/he'd say 'ittekimasu', which means, I'm going out and will come back later, and the one remaining (at home) would say, 'itterashya' in response.

"Otsukaresama deshita" is roughly You did well today. Keep up the good work.

"Ittekimasu" is I'm leaving now. I'll see you/be back later.

"Itterashya" is roughly, OK. See you later then.

All the best,

thanks. Anyway, mind telling me if the native speakers also practice the same thing? like saying ' you did well today. Keep it up!' and so on. well, in my country, i never heard people saying it. erm.... sometimes we say keep it up to encourage people, but isnt it different here ( the saying in Japan)? actually i was merely curious about it. looking forward to hearing from you soon.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
darren said:
when someone resembles another person, we'd say takes after him/her. But i m wondering if we can say they look similar? they are similar in appearance to each other.-correct? they look alike= they look similar??
besides, i have another totally different question: In Japan, people'd say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished his work. When it is translated, it'd mean ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? what would English native speakers say? other than that, when someone is leaving to work, s/he 'd say 'ittekimasu' ( which means i m going out and will come back later) and the one remains in the building( for example at home) 'd say 'itterashya' in respone ( sory dont know how to translate this into English) I have been thinking if native speakers say the same like thing...........

I would accept "They look similar". In that case, "look" is a linking verb.
 
D

darren

Guest
MikeNewYork said:
darren said:
when someone resembles another person, we'd say takes after him/her. But i m wondering if we can say they look similar? they are similar in appearance to each other.-correct? they look alike= they look similar??
besides, i have another totally different question: In Japan, people'd say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished his work. When it is translated, it'd mean ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? what would English native speakers say? other than that, when someone is leaving to work, s/he 'd say 'ittekimasu' ( which means i m going out and will come back later) and the one remains in the building( for example at home) 'd say 'itterashya' in respone ( sory dont know how to translate this into English) I have been thinking if native speakers say the same like thing...........

I would accept "They look similar". In that case, "look" is a linking verb.

thanks Mike. I have other questions here. What is the difference between ' in the moment ' and ' at the moment' ? Besides, can you please explain the usage and differences between ' as if (present tense)' and ' as if (past tense)' ? If have examples will be better. Looking forward to hear from you. :lol: :lol:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
darren said:
MikeNewYork said:
darren said:
when someone resembles another person, we'd say takes after him/her. But i m wondering if we can say they look similar? they are similar in appearance to each other.-correct? they look alike= they look similar??
besides, i have another totally different question: In Japan, people'd say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished his work. When it is translated, it'd mean ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? what would English native speakers say? other than that, when someone is leaving to work, s/he 'd say 'ittekimasu' ( which means i m going out and will come back later) and the one remains in the building( for example at home) 'd say 'itterashya' in respone ( sory dont know how to translate this into English) I have been thinking if native speakers say the same like thing...........

I would accept "They look similar". In that case, "look" is a linking verb.

thanks Mike. I have other questions here. What is the difference between ' in the moment ' and ' at the moment' ? Besides, can you please explain the usage and differences between ' as if (present tense)' and ' as if (past tense)' ? If have examples will be better. Looking forward to hear from you. :lol: :lol:

For at the moment/in the moment, read this thread. If you have further questions, please ask.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5255&sid=82ed7f4003ace166b11a35748ba63dbf

The conjunction "as if" is used to present a clause that is contrary to reality. It is often followed by the subjunctive.

He acts as if he were a rock star. (Were is subjunctive here, to show an unreal situation, rather than past tense).

He acted as if he had been elected King.
 
D

darren

Guest
MikeNewYork said:
darren said:
MikeNewYork said:
darren said:
when someone resembles another person, we'd say takes after him/her. But i m wondering if we can say they look similar? they are similar in appearance to each other.-correct? they look alike= they look similar??
besides, i have another totally different question: In Japan, people'd say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished his work. When it is translated, it'd mean ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? what would English native speakers say? other than that, when someone is leaving to work, s/he 'd say 'ittekimasu' ( which means i m going out and will come back later) and the one remains in the building( for example at home) 'd say 'itterashya' in respone ( sory dont know how to translate this into English) I have been thinking if native speakers say the same like thing...........

I would accept "They look similar". In that case, "look" is a linking verb.

thanks Mike. I have other questions here. What is the difference between ' in the moment ' and ' at the moment' ? Besides, can you please explain the usage and differences between ' as if (present tense)' and ' as if (past tense)' ? If have examples will be better. Looking forward to hear from you. :lol: :lol:

For at the moment/in the moment, read this thread. If you have further questions, please ask.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5255&sid=82ed7f4003ace166b11a35748ba63dbf

The conjunction "as if" is used to present a clause that is contrary to reality. It is often followed by the subjunctive.

He acts as if he were a rock star. (Were is subjunctive here, to show an unreal situation, rather than past tense).

He acted as if he had been elected King.

erm..... i've already read the thread you recommended. Anyway, it is about 'in a moment' right? I know that in a moment means soon, but how about in the moment? Probably it is very rare in use, but honestly I heard this phrase before and thus I'm a little confused with 'at the moment'. Other than that, can you please explain the difference between this sentences:
You talk as if you are angry.
You talk as if you were angry.
Honestly, I'm rather familliar with the second sentence. I thought the first one is wrong in first place, but later i found it out in a grammar book. Yet, I need opinions from you all. Thanks in advance.
Have a good day :D :D
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
darren said:
Casiopea said:
darren said:
In Japan, people say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished work. When it is translated, it means ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? What would English native speakers say? Other than that, when someone is leaving to work s/he'd say 'ittekimasu', which means, I'm going out and will come back later, and the one remaining (at home) would say, 'itterashya' in response.

"Otsukaresama deshita" is roughly You did well today. Keep up the good work.

"Ittekimasu" is I'm leaving now. I'll see you/be back later.

"Itterashya" is roughly, OK. See you later then.

All the best,

thanks. Anyway, mind telling me if the native speakers also practice the same thing? like saying ' you did well today. Keep it up!' and so on. well, in my country, i never heard people saying it. erm.... sometimes we say keep it up to encourage people, but isnt it different here ( the saying in Japan)? actually i was merely curious about it. looking forward to hearing from you soon.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Native North American speakers of English, to my knowledge, do not use "Otsukaresama deshita". I'm from Canada but I've worked and lived in Japan for the past five years. Everyday after work my colleagues shout out, "Otsukaresama deshita!" to me and, of course, I shout it back in return to them. My colleagues have asked me more than once about how to say the phrase in English, but given that it's not a North American custom, the best I can offer them is a rough translation, "Thanks for all your hard work today" or "Thanks for doing such a great job."

In Japan, the group is more important that the individual. At the end of the day, saying "Otsukaresama deshita" is a way of telling the individual within the group that one's labour is not without recognition. It originated as a way of building up pride in one's work. That is, the idea is that the individual will take pride in her work if her 'hard work' is recognized at the end of the day. These days, however, "Otsukaresama deshita" doesn't hold all that much meaning for young people in the work force. It's like saying, "OHayo Gozaimasu!" or "Konnichiwa", a set greetings, much like native English speakers use "Hello".

All the best,
 
D

darren

Guest
Casiopea said:
darren said:
Casiopea said:
darren said:
In Japan, people say 'otsukaresama' when some has finished work. When it is translated, it means ' thanks for your hard work'. Is there a similar expression in English? What would English native speakers say? Other than that, when someone is leaving to work s/he'd say 'ittekimasu', which means, I'm going out and will come back later, and the one remaining (at home) would say, 'itterashya' in response.

"Otsukaresama deshita" is roughly You did well today. Keep up the good work.

"Ittekimasu" is I'm leaving now. I'll see you/be back later.

"Itterashya" is roughly, OK. See you later then.

All the best,

thanks. Anyway, mind telling me if the native speakers also practice the same thing? like saying ' you did well today. Keep it up!' and so on. well, in my country, i never heard people saying it. erm.... sometimes we say keep it up to encourage people, but isnt it different here ( the saying in Japan)? actually i was merely curious about it. looking forward to hearing from you soon.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Native North American speakers of English, to my knowledge, do not use "Otsukaresama deshita". I'm from Canada but I've worked and lived in Japan for the past five years. Everyday after work my colleagues shout out, "Otsukaresama deshita!" to me and, of course, I shout it back in return to them. My colleagues have asked me more than once about how to say the phrase in English, but given that it's not a North American custom, the best I can offer them is a rough translation, "Thanks for all your hard work today" or "Thanks for doing such a great job."

In Japan, the group is more important that the individual. At the end of the day, saying "Otsukaresama deshita" is a way of telling the individual within the group that one's labour is not without recognition. It originated as a way of building up pride in one's work. That is, the idea is that the individual will take pride in her work if her 'hard work' is recognized at the end of the day. These days, however, "Otsukaresama deshita" doesn't hold all that much meaning for young people in the work force. It's like saying, "OHayo Gozaimasu!" or "Konnichiwa", a set greetings, much like native English speakers use "Hello".

All the best,

I see. I wonder if there are any similar sayings or customs? How about in UK , US, European countries, Australia and New Zealand? All kinds of opinions are welcome.
cheers :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
darren said:
erm..... i've already read the thread you recommended. Anyway, it is about 'in a moment' right? I know that in a moment means soon, but how about in the moment? Probably it is very rare in use, but honestly I heard this phrase before and thus I'm a little confused with 'at the moment'.

I'm sorry. I thought there was an explanation of "in the moment" in that thread. I am aware of only one use of "in the moment" an that refers to someone actually focusing on what they are feeling or doing at a particular time. If heard it used for actors, to mean that they are actually feeling what their characters would be feeling at a certain time. I think it is also used in some "personal growth" courses.

Other than that, can you please explain the difference between this sentences:
You talk as if you are angry.
You talk as if you were angry.
Honestly, I'm rather familliar with the second sentence. I thought the first one is wrong in first place, but later i found it out in a grammar book. Yet, I need opinions from you all. Thanks in advance.
Have a good day :D :D

The first means "You sound angry right now."
The second can mean: It seems that you were angry then (past). or
I know you aren't angry (unreal subjunctive) but your words make it appear that you are angry.

The reason that there are two possibilities for the second is that "were" is the same after "you" in the indicative (past) and the subjunctive (hypothetical/unreal). The subjunctive reading would be more common, in my opinion. :wink:
 
D

darren

Guest
MikeNewYork said:
darren said:
erm..... i've already read the thread you recommended. Anyway, it is about 'in a moment' right? I know that in a moment means soon, but how about in the moment? Probably it is very rare in use, but honestly I heard this phrase before and thus I'm a little confused with 'at the moment'.

I'm sorry. I thought there was an explanation of "in the moment" in that thread. I am aware of only one use of "in the moment" an that refers to someone actually focusing on what they are feeling or doing at a particular time. If heard it used for actors, to mean that they are actually feeling what their characters would be feeling at a certain time. I think it is also used in some "personal growth" courses.
Can you please explain 'personal growth' again together with examples?

Other than that, can you please explain the difference between this sentences:
You talk as if you are angry.
You talk as if you were angry.
Honestly, I'm rather familliar with the second sentence. I thought the first one is wrong in first place, but later i found it out in a grammar book. Yet, I need opinions from you all. Thanks in advance.
Have a good day :D :D

The first means "You sound angry right now."
The second can mean: It seems that you were angry then (past). or
I know you aren't angry (unreal subjunctive) but your words make it appear that you are angry.

The reason that there are two possibilities for the second is that "were" is the same after "you" in the indicative (past) and the subjunctive (hypothetical/unreal). The subjunctive reading would be more common, in my opinion. :wink:

So do you think that the first one is common in daily use? Say, if my question leaves a blank like this: You talk as if you ____ angry. What would you put? Perhaps you might say that it depends on the context, but just imagine there is no more context but the only sentence.
Thank you. Have a nice day. :wink:
 
D

darren

Guest
I'm sorry. I thought there was an explanation of "in the moment" in that thread. I am aware of only one use of "in the moment" an that refers to someone actually focusing on what they are feeling or doing at a particular time. If heard it used for actors, to mean that they are actually feeling what their characters would be feeling at a certain time. I think it is also used in some "personal growth" courses.

Can you explain further on 'personal growth' ? It'll be great together with some examples. :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
darren said:
So do you think that the first one is common in daily use? Say, if my question leaves a blank like this: You talk as if you ____ angry. What would you put? Perhaps you might say that it depends on the context, but just imagine there is no more context but the only sentence.
Thank you. Have a nice day. :wink:

In my opinion, "were" would be the far more common word there. The sentence is most likely about something that appears to be different than it is. That is when we use the subjunctive.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
darren said:
Can you explain further on 'personal growth' ? It'll be great together with some examples. :wink:

There are many "gurus" out there who make a living writing books or putting on seminars designed to teach people how to live better lives. In my experience, most are filled with jargon and catch phrases. One such seminar was called "Be here now". It spoke about people being "in the moment" -- not daydreaming about vacation when they are at work or worrying about the office when they are on vacation.

One of the best lines was "When you people are doing laundry, you think about sex; when you are having sex, you are think about doing the laundry. In my experience, he was only half right. :roll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top