No alcoholic drink for underage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hong Kong Chinese

Guest
A warning sign in restaurant

No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.

It’s very strange that I don’t know why they use intoxicating liquors.
Link:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=41677&dict=CALD

Is the word ‘intoxicating’ redundant? By the fact that all liquors are supposed to be intoxicating!
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=L&key=HW*1275

And also liquor is a strong drink, i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc.

Beer, port, red wine, white wine, grape wine – should they be counted as liquor?

From the warning sign, I’d say the underage can drink beer, port, red wine, and any light alcoholic beverage!
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Intoxicating' isn't really necessary. I don't suppose they'll let them drink beer, though. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hong Kong Chinese said:
A warning sign in restaurant

No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.

It’s very strange that I don’t know why they use intoxicating liquors.
Link:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=41677&dict=CALD

Is the word ‘intoxicating’ redundant? By the fact that all liquors are supposed to be intoxicating!
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=L&key=HW*1275

And also liquor is a strong drink, i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc.

Beer, port, red wine, white wine, grape wine – should they be counted as liquor?

From the warning sign, I’d say the underage can drink beer, port, red wine, and any light alcoholic beverage!

It is an odd message, but the meaning is relatively clear. :wink:
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Hong Kong Chinese said:
A warning sign in restaurant

No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.

It?s very strange that I don?t know why they use intoxicating liquors.
Link:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=41677&dict=CALD

Is the word ?intoxicating? redundant? By the fact that all liquors are supposed to be intoxicating!
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=L&key=HW*1275

And also liquor is a strong drink, i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc.

Beer, port, red wine, white wine, grape wine ? should they be counted as liquor?

From the warning sign, I?d say the underage can drink beer, port, red wine, and any light alcoholic beverage!

I'd say beer, port, red/white wine, grape wine are soft drinks. They don't belong to intoxicating liquors such as whisky, vodka.

What do you think? :wink:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Hong Kong Chinese said:
A warning sign in restaurant

No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.

To me it's the -s on 'liquors' that sounds kind of funny. :shock:

In North America, liquor has two meanings: 1) distilled spirits or hard liquor (e.g. vodka, rye, whiskey, etc) and 2) a general, umbrella term for all drinks that intoxicate (i.e, get you drunk).

By the way, I'd say you're right about 'intoxicating liquors' being redundant. :)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
henry said:
I'd say beer, port, red/white wine, grape wine are soft drinks. They don't belong to intoxicating liquors such as whisky, vodka.

What do you think? :wink:

They are a bit different from distilled spirits, but alcohol is still alcohol. 8)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this country (USA) soft drinks are non-alcoholic beverages. Sodas are soft drinks.

:)
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
RonBee said:
In this country (USA) soft drinks are non-alcoholic beverages. Sodas are soft drinks.

:)

Oh I see. Here in Germany such drinks(beer, wine, etc.) are called soft drinks and therefore youths are allowed to consume.

8)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
henry said:
RonBee said:
In this country (USA) soft drinks are non-alcoholic beverages. Sodas are soft drinks.

:)

Oh I see. Here in Germany such drinks(beer, wine, etc.) are called soft drinks and therefore youths are allowed to consume.

8)

That's interesting. In the US, distilled spirits are often called "hard liquor", but there is no "soft liquor". As Ron said, soft drinks are entirely different here. :wink:
 
T

Tombraiders

Guest
Intoxcicating liquors mean all of the alcoholic drinks, not limited to hard liquors like whisky, vodka and gin. So beer, wine are on the off-limit list.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top