Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

Can anybody explain to me what exactly nostalgia induction means? (did they evoke a feeling of nostalgia in the participants?)

After being reminded of their mortality (relative to an aversive dental procedure), the more nostalgic participants felt, the more meaningful they perceived their life to be. Also, after reminders of mortality (relative to a dental procedure or failing an important exam), participants who were more prone to nostalgia (e.g., had reported frequent engagement in nostalgia), or who had received a nostalgia induction, actually had fewer death-related thoughts. Nostalgia boosted perceptions of life as meaningful and assuaged existential threat.

NOSTALGIA: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE
Constantine Sedikides and Tim Wildschut (University of Southampton); Jamie Arndt (University of Missouri); Clay Routledge (North Dakota State University)

Thank you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nostalgia was induced by the researcher. That is, the research did something that prompted the participant to think of something pleasant in the past. It was an induction of nostalgia into the participant. When nostalgia was induced, the person who received it thought of death fewer times.

Have you looked up "induction" or "induce"?

Last edited:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, I have, but these academic terms are sometimes hard to get in a certain context even if you know what the words separately mean ...

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So true! I had texts in college that had sentences I needed to diagram to untangle. Why do they do that? Why, why, why?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's a postmodern neo-Marxist plot. If they want the texts published they have to write in code. (I'm only half-joking).