Not half

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
A: Did you have a good time?
B: Not half.
==> B means he had a really good time. To my knowledge, I would explain it as B had a mix feeling of happiness and unhappiness. My question here is why didn't B answer directly like "Yep, I did." It reminds me of another question.

A: How was the movie?
B : Not bad.
==> In this case, I'd explain it as so-so, not good enough to see but not too bad though. Is that right?


The negative "not" in both examples gives me somewhat a negative idea.(AaaaaaRG, I have limited vocab)
 
P

PammyLorel

Guest
blacknomi said:
A: Did you have a good time?
B: Not half.
==> B means he had a really good time. To my knowledge, I would explain it as B had a mix feeling of happiness and unhappiness. My question here is why didn't B answer directly like "Yep, I did." It reminds me of another question.

A: How was the movie?
B : Not bad.
==> In this case, I'd explain it as so-so, not good enough to see but not too bad though. Is that right?


The negative "not" in both examples gives me somewhat a negative idea.(AaaaaaRG, I have limited vocab)

"Not half" means "Not half bad" which means something is good (less than 50% bad)

"Not bad" means it was good
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
A: Did you have a good time?
B: Not half.
==> B means he had a really good time. To my knowledge, I would explain it as B had a mix feeling of happiness and unhappiness. My question here is why didn't B answer directly like "Yep, I did." It reminds me of another question.

A: How was the movie?
B : Not bad.
==> In this case, I'd explain it as so-so, not good enough to see but not too bad though. Is that right?


The negative "not" in both examples gives me somewhat a negative idea.(AaaaaaRG, I have limited vocab)

I have not heard the first one. I don't think the statement is consistent with having a really good time.

"Not bad" is an example of litotes. It is the negation of a negative to make a moderate positive. "Not bad" is not as good as great, but it is better than OK or pretty good.
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
not half UK INFORMAL
used in spoken English to express a positive statement more strongly:
It wasn't half crowded in the club last night (= It was very crowded).
She didn't half shout at him (= She shouted a lot at him)!
"You enjoyed yourself last night, didn't you?" "Not half (= Very much)!"
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=35303&dict=CALD

PammyLorel, your answer is much appreciated. As DictionaryCambridge, in my humble opinion, it's not less than 50% bad. What do you say? :wink:

AH, so-ga. "Not bad" is better than "pretty good". I have to de-fossilze the interlingual mistakes that have embeded chronically in my left hemisphere now. :)

I have one more question, how can I place order to extremely/pretty/totally/very/quite from greatest extent?

Extremely different.
Pretty different.
Totally different.
Very different.
Quite different.

:?:
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
blacknomi said:
not half UK INFORMAL
used in spoken English to express a positive statement more strongly:
It wasn't half crowded in the club last night (= It was very crowded).
She didn't half shout at him (= She shouted a lot at him)!
"You enjoyed yourself last night, didn't you?" "Not half (= Very much)!"
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=35303&dict=CALD

PammyLorel, your answer is much appreciated. As DictionaryCambridge, in my humble opinion, it's not less than 50% bad. What do you say? :wink:

AH, so-ga. "Not bad" is better than "pretty good". I have to de-fossilze the interlingual mistakes that have embeded chronically in my left hemisphere now. :)

I have one more question, how can I place order to extremely/pretty/totally/very/quite from greatest extent?

Extremely different.
Pretty different.
Totally different.
Very different.
Quite different.

:?:

I copied and pasted the definition below from The American Heritage Dictionary.

not half. Not at all: “Fancy housing? Not half likely, ma'am” (Russell Baker).

I think Mike meant that "not bad" means "pretty good" or "better than simply OK".
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I thought it meant 'not half but 100%', or something like that. In the UK, it's quite a strong expression. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
I thought it meant 'not half but 100%', or something like that. In the UK, it's quite a strong expression. ;-)

You are a strange people. :shock:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We say 'cheap at half the price', which really makes no sense at all. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
We say 'cheap at half the price', which really makes no sense at all. ;-)

I've heard that here, too. :roll:
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
tdol said:
I thought it meant 'not half but 100%', or something like that. In the UK, it's quite a strong expression. ;-)

So:
AE = negative meaning
BE = positive meaning

Right? :roll: :?
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
blacknomi said:
not half UK INFORMAL
used in spoken English to express a positive statement more strongly:
It wasn't half crowded in the club last night (= It was very crowded).
She didn't half shout at him (= She shouted a lot at him)!
"You enjoyed yourself last night, didn't you?" "Not half (= Very much)!"
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=35303&dict=CALD

PammyLorel, your answer is much appreciated. As DictionaryCambridge, in my humble opinion, it's not less than 50% bad. What do you say? :wink:

AH, so-ga. "Not bad" is better than "pretty good". I have to de-fossilze the interlingual mistakes that have embeded chronically in my left hemisphere now. :)

I have one more question, how can I place order to extremely/pretty/totally/very/quite from greatest extent?

Extremely different.
Pretty different.
Totally different.
Very different.
Quite different.

:?:

Totally different
Extremely different/Very different
Quite different/Pretty different

IMHO, there's not enough difference to fuss over.
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Susie Smith said:
I have one more question, how can I place order to extremely/pretty/totally/very/quite from greatest extent?

Extremely different.
Pretty different.
Totally different.
Very different.
Quite different.



Totally different
Extremely different/Very different
Quite different/Pretty different

IMHO, there's not enough difference to fuss over.

Thank you very much indeed. I think you are right, that is what I told to to "blacknomi" and my students, Don't fuss over English. Sometimes ESL/EFL learners need some rules to help understand, especially when you have adult students. :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top