Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.
I'd like to ask whether saying "Now when..." instead of "Now that..." is possible. Does "Now when..." sound natural?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to show the entire sentence you want to write. It doesn't seem likely, but who knows what might work in the right context.

Mr.Lucky_One

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here is a context.
"Now when I am preparing a party in honor of the birthday of our firm I have got that the work is not so easy as it seemed at first. You need to reconcile and take into account so many details! It takes a lot of patience, attentiveness and accuracy."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In that context, it has to be 'Now that...'

'Now when...' just doesn't work.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a context.
"Now when I am preparing a party in honor of the birthday of our firm I have got that the work is not so easy as it seemed at first. You need to reconcile and take into account so many details! It takes a lot of patience, attentiveness and accuracy."

I think the "now when" works OK. I have a problem with the tenses though. Most of your sentence is in the present, but then one runs into "have got". I would change that to "get".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a context.

Now that I'm in charge of the birthday parties at our firm, I realize it's not as easy as I first through. You need to manage so many details!

I can't make "now when" work at all in that context.

It works like this:

I used to think that planning the birthday parties was be easy. Then I planned my first one and realized it's harder than I thought! Now when I'm tasked to plan one of them, I start early so I can make sure all the details are taken care of and it goes smoothly.

Mr.Lucky_One

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think the "now when" works OK. I have a problem with the tenses though. Most of your sentence is in the present, but then one runs into "have got". I would change that to "get".
Thanks.
Yes, having pondered it I found "get" more appropriate too. But does using "have got" this way look very clumsy?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks.
Yes, having pondered it I found "get" more appropriate too. But does using "have got" this way look very clumsy?

It just doesn't fit in your sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"To get" meaning "to /understand" is OK but it just doesn't work in your sentence. It means "to [suddenly] understand".

My teacher explained the subjunctive to me about a hundred times. Finally, I've got it!!

Now that I have been tasked with organising the office party, I realise [that] it's not as easy as I first thought.

The only way I could use "Now when" in that context would be if you are the person regularly in charge of office parties.

I used to organise office parties 24 hours before they were due to be held. Now when I organise the office party, I start making the arrangement six weeks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.