of Sir John's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have seen this sentence: (btw: is this sentence I have just written written correct and right? I still have big problem with using present perfect :) )

So here is the sentence: ....a friend of Sir John's.
Can you tell me why there is " 's " at the end of John ?
D we have to use " 's " always? I mean for exmple: This is a table of my grandmother's. Is it right?

Lenka

izabela

Hi Lenka,

Lenka said:
I have seen this sentence: (btw: is this sentence I have just written written correct and right? I still have big problem with using present perfect :) )

Your present perfect seems just fine.

So here is the sentence: ....a friend of Sir John's.
Can you tell me why there is " 's " at the end of John ?
D we have to use " 's " always? I mean for exmple: This is a table of my grandmother's. Is it right?

In spite of the fact that this 's' in "John's" seems to be unnecessary there, it is very widely used. It is called 'double possessive'. In your example, the meaning would be the same without an 's', but in other cases it is very helpful. For example:

"A picture of my sister"....here the meaning is ambiguous. You do not know whether it is your sister that is seen in a picture, or it is a picture belonging to your sister. That is why it is better to say, 'A picture of my sister's' so you know that it is your sister's picture.

Iza

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Which one is right?:
....of mine
or ....of myself

Lenka

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends- they are both possible:

He's a friend of mine. (possessive)

The second is used by some, but I don't like it:
It's a picture of myself and my sisiter.

Here, I'd use 'me', but some speakers use it.
;-)

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for your answer. And could we say: He’s a friend of me. ?
I understand that mine is used like this: He isn’t your friend, he is mine!, but I don’t understand that I can use it as you said, like he’s a friend of mine. Is there a logical explanation or should I have to remember it?

Lenka

Francois

And could we say: He’s a friend of me. ?
I don't think so. "He's a friend of mine" is correct, and called doubel genitive.

AH Book of English said:
It can help sort out ambiguous phrases like Bob’s photograph, which could mean either “a photograph of Bob” (i.e., revealing Bob’s image) or “a photograph that is in Bob’s possession.” A photograph of Bob’s, on the other hand, can only be a photo that Bob has in his possession and may or may not show Bob’s image. Moreover, in some sentences the double genitive offers the only way to express what is meant. There is no substitute for it in a sentence such as That’s the only friend of yours that I’ve ever met, since sentences such as That’s your only friend that I’ve ever met and That’s your only friend, whom I’ve ever met are not grammatical.

FRC

Status
Not open for further replies.