Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Shakespeare's penning of these words has had consequences that he cannot have foreseen. It has resulted in countless theatrical performances, many of them in languages that he cannot have known and in countries of which he can have had no inkling.

What does "which" refer to? Theatrical performances?

I find I have difficulty in understanding "of which", "in which", "on which" etc. When should I use these kind of phrases?

Source: The History of King Lear: The Oxford Shakespeare
https://books.google.com.hk/books?i...equences that he cannot have foreseen&f=false

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
He can have had no inkling of the countries in which the performances have taken place.

Maybo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
He can have had no inkling of the countries in which the performances have taken place.
in countries of which he can have had no inkling "Which" refers to "the countries"?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think the following also applies to 'of which', about which the OP is asking.

When it comes to determining the word with which the phrase with which is associated, proximity is your first test.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I find I have difficulty in understanding "of which", "in which", "on which" etc. When should I use these kind of phrases?

...and in countries of which he can have had no inkling, has the same meaning as, ...and in countries he can have had no inkling of. This is perfectly correct, but can sound overly formal or result in unnatural sounding sentences when the user is motivated by the avoidance of a preposition at the end of the sentence.