offensive: kiss ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

bread

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2004
I am sorry that I want to ask this question :cry: :
What does "kiss someone ass" mean?
I looked it up in a dictionary and found out that it means flattering.
However, recalling my memory, I watched a TV show that a girl said "kiss my ass" when the audiences were booing loudly.
My friend said that it can mean "I don't give a xxxx."
Could anyone please tell me how many meanings it has?

Thank you in advance! :eek:
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
'to kiss sb's arse/ass': to be very nice to somebody in order to persuade them to help you or to give you something.
A more polite way to express this is lick sb's boots.

But if someone says Kiss my ass! means I don't give a xxxx.


8)
 

japanjapan

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
henry said:
'to kiss sb's arse/ass': to be very nice to somebody in order to persuade them to help you or to give you something.
A more polite way to express this is lick sb's boots.

But if someone says Kiss my ass! means I don't give a xxxx.


8)

Dear teachers,
What does " I don't give a xxxx" mean?
please tell me, I wanna know it because it is part of English.
thanks
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
xxxx replaces a swear word. In the expression I don't give a xxxx, there are various possibilities:

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck (They get stronger as you move towards the end of the list)
;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
xxxx replaces a swear word. In the expression I don't give a xxxx, there are various possibilities:

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck (They get stronger as you move towards the end of the list)
;-)

Canadian
I don't give a hoot/frig/fart/. :shock:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Casiopea said:
tdol said:
xxxx replaces a swear word. In the expression I don't give a xxxx, there are various possibilities:

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck (They get stronger as you move towards the end of the list)
;-)

Canadian
I don't give a hoot/frig/fart/. :shock:

I don't give a tinker's damn/rat's ass. :lol:
 

japanjapan

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kiss my ass

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck

I don't give a hoot/frig/fart

I don't give a tinker's damn/rat's ass


Do they all mean " I don't care”?

Am I right?
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
japanjapan said:
Kiss my ass

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck

I don't give a hoot/frig/fart

I don't give a tinker's damn/rat's ass


Do they all mean " I don't care”?

Am I right?

Except for "kiss my ass", yes. IMO, "kiss my ass" has multiple meanings.

:wink:
 

japanjapan

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
MikeNewYork said:
japanjapan said:
Kiss my ass

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck

I don't give a hoot/frig/fart

I don't give a tinker's damn/rat's ass


Do they all mean " I don't care”?

Am I right?

Except for "kiss my ass", yes. IMO, "kiss my ass" has multiple meanings.

:wink:

What are the multiple meanings? Could you talk about it?
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
japanjapan said:
MikeNewYork said:
japanjapan said:
Kiss my ass

I don't give a damn\toss\shit\fuck

I don't give a hoot/frig/fart

I don't give a tinker's damn/rat's ass


Do they all mean " I don't care”?

Am I right?

Except for "kiss my ass", yes. IMO, "kiss my ass" has multiple meanings.

:wink:

What are the multiple meanings? Could you talk about it?

It is a general expression of irritation. It does not always mean "I don't care".

It can mean:

I'm not going to do what you asked.
I don't like you or your attitude.

Almost anything in that realm.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is 'kiss ass'a public or a private verb? ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
Is 'kiss ass'a public or a private verb? ;-)

LOL! Since they closed the sex clubs, I would say "private". :lol: :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top