Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"offer up" is defined as "to give something to God" in a dictionary, so does it make sense in this context? Do performers play music to an audience as if they did it to God? Or is this just an exaggeration?

gu48)When an audience feels that a performer or group of performers has done an outstanding job, they'll call for this...In some cases, fans may even call for a second one after the conclusion of the first encore. When this occurs, the performers have to decide whether they want to offer up another or not. Eventually they may have to refuse, or these could go on all night!

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"offer up" is defined as "to give something to God" in a dictionary, so does it make sense in this context? Do performers play music to an audience as if they did it to God? Or is this just an exaggeration?

gu48)When an audience feels that a performer or group of performers has done an outstanding job, they'll call for this...In some cases, fans may even call for a second one after the conclusion of the first encore. When this occurs, the performers have to decide whether they want to offer up another or not. Eventually they may have to refuse, or these could go on all night!
You have given one meaning, but not all meanings. I can, for example, offer up my car as collateral for a loan. In the text you provided there is no indication that God is or is not involved. I assume that it merely means whether or not they will perform another act.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Look at the words I have put in bold and read them as if they were one sentence. Does that help? And no, it has nothing to do with god.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course, if it was John Denver, God might be involved. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.