Offset has been applied against that claim on this one.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John: Why you didn't pay for this claim when the claim was set to pay? You didn't deny this claim.
Rep: Because of the offset. Offset has been applied to this claim sir. We paid you some extra amount for another claim by mistake. Offset has been applied against that claim on this one.

Please check my sentences.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would suggest a complete rewrite- it is hard to make out the intended meaning IMO.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this a real-life situation? If not, why did you invent it?

After all these years you should know that we don't start a question with 'Why you didn't pay for this claim ...?'

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is this a real-life situation? If not, why did you invent it?

After all these years you should know that we don't start a question with 'Why you didn't pay for this claim ...?'

Yes, I have to say this that is why I am asking you about this.

John: Why didn't you pay for this claim? You neither paid nor denied this claim.
Rep: Because of the offset. Offset has been applied to this claim sir. We paid you some extra amount for another claim by mistake. Offset has been applied against that claim on this one.

Please correct my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I have to say this that is why I am asking you about this.

[STRIKE]John[/STRIKE] Tufguy: Why didn't you pay for this claim? You neither paid nor denied this claim.
[STRIKE]Rep: Because of the offset. Offset has been applied to this claim sir. We paid you some extra amount for another claim by mistake. Offset has been applied against that claim on this one.[/STRIKE]

Please correct my sentences.

Please stop trying to predict what the rep is going to say during your conversation. Your opening two sentences are OK. However, it might be clearer to say "Can you tell me what is happening with my claim? I haven't been notified that it was denied but it hasn't been paid either."

I have moved this thread to "Ask A Teacher". It should not have been in the Editing and Writing Topics section. That is for letters, emails, essays etc.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please stop trying to predict what the rep is going to say during your conversation. Your opening two sentences are OK. However, it might be clearer to say "Can you tell me what is happening with my claim? I haven't been notified that it was denied but it hasn't been paid either."

I have moved this thread to "Ask A Teacher". It should not have been in the Editing and Writing Topics section. That is for letters, emails, essays etc.

I want to know whether I have used "Offset" properly in my sentences? Offset means when they process and pay a claim virtualy but do not release any payment because another claim for you in the past the payment on one of your claims was more than enough. So instead of recouping that money they apply offset to one or more claims of yours.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This claim has been offset against a payment made by mistake would sound more natural to me.