On TV I watched a documentary where a person asked the people who had fractured legs

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
On TV I watched a documentary where a person asked the people who had fractured legs to stamp their legs on the ground with full force and they did it. Can we say they had "plastered legs" or "doctors had plastered their legs"?

Please check my sentences.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Use neither one.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The American English would be that they had "casts" on their legs.

I don't know the British version.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
plaster casts

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On TV I watched a documentary where a person asked the people who had fractured legs to stamp their legs on the ground with full force and they did it. Can we say they had "plastered legs" or "doctors had plastered their legs"?

Please check my sentences.

How about my sentences?
Try to read the first quotation the way the volunteers who help you read it. We see a paragraph with two sentences, the second one ending in a question about English usage. You got answers to that question.

The next paragraph asks us to check your sentences. Can you see why we don't know exactly what you're asking?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, in American English we might say that a person stamped his/her feet. (Not legs.) That seems to me like a really odd thing to do if that person has a broken (fractured) leg.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On TV I watched a documentary where a person asked the people who had fractured legs to stamp their legs on the ground with full force and they did it.

Perhaps:

On TV I watched a documentary in which a person asked people with casts on their legs to stamp their feet on the ground with full force, and they did it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also wonder why this sentence is worth working on. We've told you many times, Tufguy, that you should write sentences about everyday situations. I believe that you saw this strange TV show, but learners need to know how to talk about ordinary events before they learn how to describe bizarre ones like that. How about opening a thread with a sentence in which you tell Mary what your mother served you for dinner last night? After that, tell someone where the nearest post office is in another thread.