Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "One stop brought us into the family sitting-room" mean "we directly entered the family sitting room"? "One stop" is puzzling to me. It sounds as if you stop somewhere (between the door and the room) a while and then come in the room.

-----------------------------
...and I had no desire to aggravate his impatience previous to inspecting the penetralium.One stop brought us into the family sitting-room, without any introductory lobby or passage: they call it here ‘the house’ pre- eminently.

-Wuthering Heights

Source

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, the first stop or space as one enters the house is the sitting room, unlike houses where one usually enters a lobby/foyer before going into the living room.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, the first stop or space as one enters the house is the sitting room, unlike houses where one usually enters a lobby/foyer before going into the living room.

Does sitting-room here simply mean bedroom?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. It was a room which we might today call a living room. Houses of the middle and upper classes used to have a variety of smaller gathering rooms variously called sitting rooms, parlors, libraries, music rooms, and so on.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, it is a room where people sit and relax. It is also called a lounge/living room/family room.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I read your quote, GoodTaste, I thought you were going to ask us about penetralium.

Status
Not open for further replies.