Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was reading a book about radars when I saw this:

"By individually controlling hte phase shifters, the beam formed by the array can be steered anywhere within a fairly wide field or regard".

What does "or regard" mean here? Thanks in advance.

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
It is short for "field of regard" and in aircraft radar terms for example refers to the arc the radar can 'see'. So for example 145 degrees each side of the nose of the aircraft.

:)

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is short for "field of regard" and in aircraft radar terms for example refers to the arc the radar can 'see'. So for example 145 degrees each side of the nose of the aircraft.

:)
Right... I didn't know regard is a shortform for field of regard, but I believe it had to have something to do with the radar's field of view.

Thank you very much. Are you a radar expert?

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
:-D No I'm not, although I have a little knowledge of radar through my father who was in the RAF. I actually know relatively little - it's just he liked to talk about his work - I think he hoped I would become an engineer too.

Last edited:

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wooh! Your father worked for the RAF? That's just cool. I would love to become an engineer, though deep down I always wanted to be a fighter pilot...Bad eyesight spoiled everything.

By the way, have you heard of the Cranfield University? What do you think about it?

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
Yes I've heard of it they do research there. I can't say I know much about it though. Why don't you check with the British Council They should be able to tell you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.