Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Reading an article in NYT I noticed an invented word, namely outnice, which was unavailable, for all the good intention to find it in my dictionaries. Please, see the brief excerpt from the title in question.

One on One in Debate, Democrats Set Aim at G.O.P.

LOS ANGELES — Senators Hillary Rodman Kennedy and Barrack Obama met for debate here Thursday, sitting side by side and sharing a night of smiles, friendly eye-catching and gentle banter. Cordial as the encounter was, the candidates did not mask their own divisions, even as they previewed the attacks one of them will ultimately make against a Republican rival.

Still, it was almost as if the battle was to see which of them could outnice the other.

At another place I read the following sentence:

"If she plays the nice game, they will outnice her. If she plays the dirty game, she just buried herself deeper in her own slop."

I know that out nice = agreeable, pleasing
well-groomed

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether there is a misprint?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Hi_there_Carl

Member Type
English Teacher
You are right many words and expressions are invented everyday in English by the media and others... Some live on and some die depending on usage.
The word "outnice" is a good example.

I believe that in this context "outnice" is a combination of the phrasal verb "out do" and the phrase "be nice". In essence "outnice" means to try to be more kind than the other person as if it were a contest to see who could be more kind.

I hope this helps,

Last edited:

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear Hi_there_Carl,

Thank you for your convincing reply.

To a great extend your explanation coincides with my unassured speculation.
Your well-grounded explanation put an end to all my doubt.

Thank you again, especially for your ingenious guessing of the new words-formation.

Regards.

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.