Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

I’m having trouble understanding following sentence: „The overflow feeding down into creeks and streams.”

Source CNN Students News http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1603/17/sn.01.html

Here you are some context:
ELAM (voice-over): That warm Pacific water has brought unusual sea life to California. It`s also the catalyst for El Nino rainstorms.
(on camera): This reservoir north of San Francisco tells the story. It`s at full capacity for the first time in about a year. The overflow feeding down into creeks and streams. That`s great for the fish population and the river otters that live here.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The water that flows over the reservoir's dam moves into creeks and streams at a lower elevation.

kompstar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If "The overflow feeding down into creeks and streams." = "The overflow is feeding down into creeeks and streams."?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's not well punctuated. They should have used an em dash instead of that full stop (period).

It's at full capacity for the first time in about a year—the overflow feeding down into creeks and streams.

Or said, e.g.,

It's at full capacity for the first time in about a year, with the overflow feeding down into creeks and streams.

kompstar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't still understand. I think it's because I don't know what "feed down" means in this sentence?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I still don't [STRIKE]still[/STRIKE] understand. I think it's because I don't know what "feed down" means in this sentence.
"Feed" means "to supply" in that sentence.
Reservoirs are typically located in areas of high elevation, so "down" is used to imply that the overflow water will flow down into the various creeks and streams.

kompstar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Everything is clear now. Thank you so much.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not well punctuated.
I wonder if the transcription was a direct copy of the journalist's script. I heard a National Public Radio announcer confess that their scripts are barely punctuated, which makes me wonder whether it's common in broadcasting to use, at best, unusual punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.