Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I looked at the verb interfere in Oxford dictionaries but something was strange. When I expanded synonyms the options were not verb even though the meaning was for a verb.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/interfere

Would you explain what these are: meddlesome[FONT=&quot], meddling, intrusive, intruding, prying, probing, nosy, inquisitive, over-curious, over-interested, busybody?

Thank you.[/FONT]

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are potential synonyms for the adjective interfering, except for the last, which could be a synonym for interfering person.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
They are potential synonyms for the adjective interfering, except for the last, which could be a synonym for interfering person.

But I think that's very strange because they give verb than they give first the adjective's synonyms then verb's synonyms. Don't you think this is strange, too?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd guess it's an incorrect entry.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But I think that's very strange because they give verb than they give first the adjective's synonyms then verb's synonyms. Don't you think this is strange, too?

I agree! They could have at least shown that meddlesome, meddling, etc. are used as adjectives.