Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
In the sentence 'The intimate atmosphere of the small college allows the student four years of structural living in which to expect and prepare for the real world' I think a 'to' should be added before the word 'prepare'. Or this part loses balance. Am I right?
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.
Jiang

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
In the sentence 'The intimate atmosphere of the small college allows the student four years of structural living in which to expect and prepare for the real world' I think a 'to' should be added before the word 'prepare'. Or this part loses balance. Am I right?
Thank you in advance.
Jiang

Parallelism exists at many levels in a sentence. In this case one can have parallelism with "[in which to] A and B" or "[in which] to A and to B. The parellism depends on where one draws the brackets for the common piece.

In this sentence, the "to expect" is a problem for me. One does not go to college "to expect" the real world. I think "think about" would work better.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
Thank you in advance.
Jiang

I agree with Mike. I think the problem is with expect. I don't know what it is supposed to mean to expect the real world. I would delete expect and from that sentence.

:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
Thank you in advance.
Jiang

I agree with Mike. I think the problem is with expect. I don't know what it is supposed to mean to expect the real world. I would delete expect and from that sentence.

:)

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.