Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The sentences:

I myself wavered between a number of dreams when I was young: wishing to follow in th footsteps of Christ or Albert Schweitzer and go off to Africa to save the masses of starving poor there; wanting to become a great author and write novels that would teach people the meaning of life; and longing to travel around the world and explore exotic lands.

About "wishing", "wanting", and "longing", are they participals or gerunds? IMO, they are all gerunds, but I'm not very confident...

A

allei78

they are all gerunds. remember a verb + ing is considered as a noun if it is the subject of the verb, the object of the verb, or the object of the preposition.

allei :wink:

Taka said:
The sentences:

I myself wavered between a number of dreams when I was young: wishing to follow in th footsteps of Christ or Albert Schweitzer and go off to Africa to save the masses of starving poor there; wanting to become a great author and write novels that would teach people the meaning of life; and longing to travel around the world and explore exotic lands.

About "wishing", "wanting", and "longing", are they participals or gerunds? IMO, they are all gerunds, but I'm not very confident...

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Their all gerunds there, IMO. I'd say they were dependent on the preposition 'between'. ;-)

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
I'd say they were dependent on the preposition 'between'. ;-)

So would I.

tdol, if there were a comma instead of a colon before "wishing", do you think you can still easily understand it as a gerund?

As far as I'm concerned, if it were a comma, I would be in great confusion.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It shouldn't be a comma there, but I suppose some might use one. This, however, would be due to ignorance; many British have little idea about punctuation. ;-)

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
It shouldn't be a comma there, but I suppose some might use one. This, however, would be due to ignorance; many British have little idea about punctuation. ;-)

Right. It shouldn't be a comma there. But suppose if it were a comma. Then do you think it's possible to take "wishing" as a participal? Or do you think whether it's a colon or a comma, "wishing" cannot be a participal?

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Ulli

tdol said:

Hello tdol,

Where can I find "easy" :) comma rules :?: :idea:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try 'Mind the Stop'. I enjoyed the bestselling 'Eats, shoots and leaves', too. ;-)

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
Try 'Mind the Stop'. I enjoyed the bestselling 'Eats, shoots and leaves', too. ;-)

:?: :?: Is that an answer for my question, or for Ulli's?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Their all gerunds there, IMO. I'd say they were dependent on the preposition 'between'. ;-)

Ooh. I'd say it's fairly tell-tale given the phrase "a number of dreams".

I myself wavered between a number of dreams when I was young: (1) wishing to follow in th footsteps of Christ or Albert Schweitzer and go off to Africa to save the masses of starving poor there; (2) wanting to become a great author and write novels that would teach people the meaning of life; and (3) longing to travel around the world and explore exotic lands.

In terms of punctuation, I'd question the use of the second semi-colon. A comma is all that's needed. :D

..of life, and longing to travel....

Status
Not open for further replies.