passive causitives

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
She ____ her car stolen last week.
(1) had
(2) got
(3) Either could be used here.


Answer: (1)


As far as I know,
had/got + object + past participle carries passvie meaning. They are passive causitives. I chose (3) here. But it's wrong. Could you help explain?
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Cambirdge dicts said:
to suffer something that someone does to you:
She had her car stolen (= it was stolen) last week
This only one of the many use of 'have', of course.

For 'get':
Cambridge dicts said:
to do something to something or someone unintentionally or accidentally:
He got his bag caught in the train doors as they were closing.
I always get the two youngest sisters' names confused.
(Again, there are other meanings).
Here, the subject is playing an active role in the action (its his fault if the bag got caught, and if he mixes up the kids' names).

However, I presume you didn't play an active role in your car robbery.

FRC
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Francois said:
Cambirdge dicts said:
to suffer something that someone does to you:
She had her car stolen (= it was stolen) last week
This only one of the many use of 'have', of course.

FRC


1.I _____ my hair cut last week.
(1)had
(2)got
(3)Either could be used here.


2.I ____ everything done.
(1)had
(2)got
(3)Either could be used here.

3.I'm going to _____ the spare bedroom decorated.
(1)have
(2)get
(3)Either could be used here.



I had my hair cut (by someone) last week. OK
I got my hair cut (by someone) last week. OK
She had her car stolen (= it was stolen by someone) last week. OK
She got her car stolen (= it was stolen by someone) last week. :?:
I had everything done(by me). OK
I got everything done(by me). OK
I'm going to have the spare bedroom decorated(by me). OK
I'm going to get the spare bedroom decorated(by me). OK


I think had/got are used in such cases to convey something was done by someone just like whay you said. So logically speaking, it should be OK to say 'She got her car stolen last week". Isn't it?

:roll:
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
You can use either one or the other (had/go) when you played an active role in the "causative clause". If you got your hair cut, I suppose you went to the hairdresser' or called in someone to cut your hair. This was no accident. You could have had your hair cut, too.
However, if you didn't play any role, that is, it's an accident that has nothing to do with you (apart from the consequences), then you must use 'had'. Using 'got' would imply that you took part in the action, so to speak.

FRC
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
RE:

  • I had my watch stolen. OK
    I got my watch stolen. Not OK


I see. 'had' is the only one because your watch was stolen by someone and it was gone. You didn't participate in the action. Your watch being stolen was out of an unexpected accident rather than someone's willingness.

Am I right?

:D
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
unexpected accident rather than someone's willingness.
Well, the guy who stole your watch certainly did it on purpose, but as far as you're concerned it's an "accident". You didn't contribute to your watch being stolen. So, according to the dictionary, 'got' doesn't fit and 'had' is the only choice.
Now, maybe usage doesn't frown on 'got' in this case -- the native speakers will tell.

FRC
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
RE:

  • I had my watch stolen. OK
    I got my watch stolen. Not OK


I see. 'had' is the only one because your watch was stolen by someone and it was gone. You didn't participate in the action. Your watch being stolen was out of an unexpected accident rather than someone's willingness.

Am I right?

:D

I would not use either "had" or "got" for something that happened to you without your participation. You will hear it, but it could be confusing. "I had my watch stolen" can imply that it was you who set it up -- perhaps for the insurance money.

"My watch was stolen" is a far better structure. :wink:
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
RE:

  • I had my watch stolen. OK
    I got my watch stolen. Not OK


I see. 'had' is the only one because your watch was stolen by someone and it was gone. You didn't participate in the action. Your watch being stolen was out of an unexpected accident rather than someone's willingness.

Am I right?

:D

I would not use either "had" or "got" for something that happened to you without your participation. You will hear it, but it could be confusing. "I had my watch stolen" can imply that it was you who set it up -- perhaps for the insurance money.

"My watch was stolen" is a far better structure. :wink:

Good point there.
It is the grammar test to blame. 8)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
RE:

  • I had my watch stolen. OK
    I got my watch stolen. Not OK


I see. 'had' is the only one because your watch was stolen by someone and it was gone. You didn't participate in the action. Your watch being stolen was out of an unexpected accident rather than someone's willingness.

Am I right?

:D

I would not use either "had" or "got" for something that happened to you without your participation. You will hear it, but it could be confusing. "I had my watch stolen" can imply that it was you who set it up -- perhaps for the insurance money.

"My watch was stolen" is a far better structure. :wink:

Good point there.
It is the grammar test to blame. 8)

Darned test! :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
LOL!

Ich schlafe soon. Auf Wiedersien there.

Have a good schlafen. :roll:
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
I have my hair cut.
==> My hair was cut (by someone.)
I have the film develpoed.
==> The film was developed (by someone.)

This sounds weird to me.
I have my ice cream added on some toppings.
==>Some toppings are added on my ice cream (by someone.)

How do you explain this?
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Blacknomi, if it sounds weird to you, then try thinking of the causative as a passive itself.;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top