Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Puerto Rico
I was very pleased to stumble upon your site, and especially to find these polls. Last year I had a go at creating a database of phrasal verbs for use by some of my ESL friends. I found the task to be a bit too daunting and gave up on it. You might just have given me the nudge I needed to have another go at it.

I have what little I was able to accomplish in an Excel file - some 430 entries. Could you offer any ideas on how to expand the list? I thought to try to compile a list of all verbs and then go through them one by one comparing them to my list of prepositons (I think I have about fifteen used in phrasals).

I looked for some compilations on line, but could not find any. And, while books are nice, I do not want to have to transcribe one just to get my list. The ultimate goal is a searchable database to help writers in real time.

Last edited:

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I was very pleased to stumble upon your site, and especially to find these polls. Last year I had a go at creating a database of phrasal verbs for use by some of my ESL friends. I found the task to be a bit too daunting and gave up on it. You might just have given me the nudge I needed to have another go at it.

I have what little I was able to accomplish in an Excel file - some 430 entries. Could you offer any ideas on how to expand the list? I thought to try to compile a list of all verbs and then go through them one by one comparing them to my list of prepositons (I think I have about fifteen used in phrasals).

I looked for some compilations on line, but could not find any. And, while books are nice, I do not want to have to transcribe one just to get my list. The ultimate goal is a searchable database to help writers in real time.

As a learner, I would appreciate an option to search phrasal verbs by single verb synonym: e.g. enter - come in, tolerate - put up with, etc.

As a teacher, I am trying hard not to let two phrasal verbs sharing the same verb (come in, come up) or the same preposition (come in, break in) into the same lesson. What I have found much more productive is grouping phrasals according to the topic or similar situation. (e.g. break in, make away with, get off (with), etc.)

Both options are still to find, I am very grateful for the this section here as the best known to test phrasal verbs on-line. :up:

Aidani jamal

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Is there anyone who can send me an E-Book which containes phrasal verbs? I am an academic student, and Iam in dire need to such a book. Thanks in advance :)