Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What do you call for a Business meet that happens outside the office.

Ex: In a hotel or a different location.

Please help!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We call them off-site meetings, or even (although this is quite jargony) "off-sites."

I'm going to be at an off-site all Thursday. If my delivery comes in, could you put it on my desk?

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We call them off-site meetings, or even (although this is quite jargony) "off-sites."

I'm going to be at an off-site all Thursday. If my delivery comes in, could you put it on my desk?

For an even higher jargon-factor ;-) you could, for some kinds of internal off-site meeting, call it a 'woods' (short for 'woods meeting'). But maybe this was only used by DEC employees - and by the time I joined, the days of actually going to a camp in the woods were long gone; but even if we just went to a hotel (to talk about strategy) people called it a 'woods'.

b

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Where I work, an 'offsite' means a 2-3 day excuse for lawyers to go off to some exotic location to tout their wares to potential clients, with skiing, snorkelling or some other extravagance thrown in. (Vive la revolution!)

Instead, we'd probably say 'external meeting' to mean a meeting outside the firm's premises, although the exact location could be anywhere including the office of a client.

Status
Not open for further replies.