Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
i read the following sentences from a book:

Burger and chips are nice lunches too.
Pizza and salad-that's good for you.

In sentence 1, the writer used "are" after burger and chips. Why did the writer use "that's" after Pizza and salad in sentence 2? Is it correct to say "Pizza and salad-they are good for you"?

Thanks for your help.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

In sentence 1, the writer used "are" after burger and chips. Why did the writer use "that's" after Pizza and salad in sentence 2? Is it correct to say "Pizza and salad-they are good for you"?

Thanks for your help.

In the first one burger and chips are treated as two things and in the second one pizza and salad are considered as one thing. I don't know why the writer did that. They are both pretty much nonsens anyway.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks for your help.

The first sentence is vey odd. "Burger and chips" or "Burger and fries" is usually considered to be one meal, so I would expect to see "A burger and chips is/makes a nice lunch too". The way it has been written seems to mean "A burger is a nice lunch and fries is/are/make a nice lunch".

Status
Not open for further replies.