Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My dad passed away ten years ago. Usually, people say: He is always with me in spirit.

My non-native English speaking friends say that you can also use the adverb spiritually. Native English speakers understand what you mean by that. I am going to make up two sentences with the adverb in different places.

(1) He is always
spiritually with me.

(2) He is always with me
spiritually.

Which position of the adverb is correct? Thank you very much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Neither alternative is as natural/colloquial as the original.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Spiritual/Spiritually/Spirituality" rarely refer to the spirits of dead people in English. 'Spiritualism' does; 'spirit' might.
So, "He is their spiritual leader" does not mean that 'he' is dead.
"I can't come to the party, but I'll be there in spirit." You don't need to be dead to say this.
People can believe in their own spirituality, and have spiritual experiences even if they are don't believe in (dead) spirits. In this case, the spirit is a function of the mind.

"He is always with me in spirit" is ambiguous to me. It could mean that his postmortem spirit is with you. Or it could mean that he is with you spiritually (in the sense outlined above), which does not necessitate the belief in postmortem spirits.
If you say, "His spirit is always watching over me", you are unambiguously referring to his postmortem spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.