please correct the letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

We all are doing fine here and wish the same from u all.Well,my health is good and everything is normal
He is taking off from tomorrow,but we are not going to NewYork and learnt that she is visiting Chicago this week.
Last weekend, he was down with lower Jaw tooth pain and suffered alot,now he is doing fine.Actually, we were invited on his collegue's daughter's b'day
because of his tooth pain, we couldn't attend that party.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
  • We all are doing fine here and wish the same to u all.Well,my health is good and everything is normal.

You could also say 'and hope you are all well,too', which is the kind of thing we might say in British English. I don'tknow if it sounds OK in American English.

• He is taking off from tomorrow,but we are not going to NewYork and have learnt that she is visiting Chicago this week.
Taking off- I'm not sure about this- maybe use 'leaving', as the departucre seems more important.

• Last weekend, he was down with lower Jaw tooth pain and suffered a lot (this should be two separate words),now he is doing fine.Actually, we were invited to his colleague's daughter's b'day, but
    because of his tooth pain, we couldn't attend that ('the' ounds better to me than 'that') party.

Maybe it owuld be better to say 'a colleague of his' as the way you have put it, it sounds as if he only has one colleague. If this is the case, then leave it.

;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re:
  • He is taking off from tomorrow.
I would delete the "from" there.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If 'taking off' stays, then 'from' should go, butI think I'd still change the verb.;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"He is leaving tomorrow?"

:?:

Tdol