Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Choose the correct variant.

The medical students gain much knowledge of medicine, which will give them .............… to diagnose different diseases.

A) ability
B) possibility
C) way
D) profession
E) time

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're welcome to the forum, but we don't supply answers to homework questions,

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Choose the correct answer.

The medical students gain much knowledge of medicine, which will give them .............… to diagnose different diseases.

A) ability
B) possibility
C) way
D) profession
E) time
Hello, Alnir!

We don't answer multiple choice questions, but we do help people figure out the answers.

The sentence isn't natural, and none of the choices are exactly right. Is this homework? Where did you get it?

Alnir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Dear Rover KE, that is not homework question. I am a student of University and it was exam question on our final. The problem of the question is that I am 100% sure that answer is ABILITY, but the right answer on exam was POSSIBILITY. I want to file an appeal but I must know how to argue my position. I want to mension that I am student of Medical University and context of medical environment field is applied to the question.

Best regards.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe the OP left a word out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Alnir, first it would have been better if you had explained the problem clearly from the beginning. Second, that question! Say:

Medical students learn a great deal about medicine. That knowledge gives them the ability to diagnose and treat illness.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I must know how to argue my position.

I want a doctor with the ability to diagnose, not the possibility. A doctor with the ability is a better trained professional.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
The only choice that produces a grammatical result is "time", because options A and B need to be preceded by "the", option C needs to be preceded by "a", and option D doesn't work at all.

But semantically, "time" results in a very illogical sentence. Is this question supposed to test grammar or semantics? Semantically, the best answer is "the ability", but no options allow for the required "the".

In any case, it's a bad sentence to start with. For instance, we rarely use "much" like this in positive declarative statements.

Last edited: